• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uniform

The Red Guy

Hmm well I'm signing up for a course for tkd later tonight, and I was thinking what's the difference between karate and taekwondo uniforms? I've a friend who's quit karate and still has the clothes in good conditions, he wore for only a couple of months. So is there a great difference in the uniforms?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
there can be. in my experience, the main difference between uniforms in schools is the color and logos slapped on the back. also, tae kwon do uniforms some times pull over the head instead of closing in the front.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

if there is a logo on the back of your friends and you go to a different school you probally won't be able to wear those uniforms. and also like what battousai said about some tkd ones closing in the front. ask you instructor, he/ she will tell you if you are allowed to wear him or not.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

As people have said, TKD tend to use V-necked tops while karate people use cross over tops.

Most TKD schools I've seen have Tae-Kwon-Do written across the back of their gis, while most karate schools I've seen tend to wear plain gis.

Karate/TKD uniforms aren't usually all that expensive, but if its really an issue, just tell your instructor that you've already got a karate suit that you could use and he would probably understand and let you wear it.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

they aren't too bad. you can probally get one for around 30$$. but if you are going to compete get an adidas one for around 60$ they are nice and snap really well.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

I was allowed to train and grade in a karate Gi for WTF TKD for the 9 months I trained with them. 8)

It will depend on the instructor... if they teach for a living I expect they will want you to buy a new Dobok from them and keep their profits up :kaioken:

Ask... he/she can only say no!

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)