• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Japanese kata even 4 non-japanese stylists?

KwicKixJ1

i started competing a while back, and i've pretty much stuck to korean systems (sorry...) i'm training in kenpo as of now (better?) and was wondering...

some people at tournaments compete in japanese kata... when they're tae kwon do stylists.

i understand that they must have learned the kata from someone with experience in the style... BUT do you guys think its ok for a non karate practitioner to learn a japanese kata to broaden his/her horizons.

(please note that i said "broaden the horizons" not just use the kata for tournaments)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You will find that many people take multiple arts to round out thier skills. TKD produces great kicks , however lacks the upclose fighting/grappling a OKINAWIAN or JUJITSU stylist will have. The KATA breakdown is often where this is learned several styles will have the same KATA, yet have completly differant techniques for the movements. What will look like a down strike, one style will use as a wristlock , while another will use it as a throw/takedown. I think you will enjoy the change in the appraoch to the fight KENPO will give you.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Why not :-? ....I've competed before in competitions using both Shotokan katas, as well as my old Kenpo katas. The more you can learn the better, so I say go for it. Just make sure you have a good understanding of the kata you choose to learn :brow: .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Kata can help anyone in any style.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

so... if per say someone trained primarily in korean styles, then at one point or another learns a japanese kata... that's acceptable?

i always felt kinda guilty to do so because i wouldn't be a part of the system. i've always wanted to learn unsu... but i don't study at a japanese dojo. i'm studying kenpo right now, but still... i'd feel kinda like an impostor. mainly, i don't want to disrespect anyone. that's the biggest reason i stayed away from learning japanese katas when they were made available to me, BUT i do know that a lot of people who compete do so. was just wondering if anybody found that offensive.

i started competing a while back, and i've pretty much stuck to korean systems (sorry...) i'm training in kenpo as of now (better?) and was wondering...

some people at tournaments compete in japanese kata... when they're tae kwon do stylists.

i understand that they must have learned the kata from someone with experience in the style... BUT do you guys think its ok for a non karate practitioner to learn a japanese kata to broaden his/her horizons.

(please note that i said "broaden the horizons" not just use the kata for tournaments)

Actually there is a lot of similarity in many of the forms that tae kwan do and karate stylists do.