• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo with tall people.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I used to do Judo, I found the throws quite difficult because my height made it difficult to get in under my opponent's centre of gravity (I'm 6ft 2ins / 1.87m). I ended up using a lot of sacrifice throws in competition to compensate. Being tall doesn't seem to add any extra difficulty to groundwork though.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

All I know it, I'm 5'5" and everyone in my class hates doing throwing drills with me. If you do judo, your best bet would be to focus on foot sweeps. Which is good, because foot sweeps are some of the first things you will learn. Go a head, give it a shot, you might enjoy it. If not, you can quit any time!

I need help with throwing taller people LOL. I'm 5'8 and I was trying to throw someone that is 6' tonight and it wasn't working. It should be easy since he is taller and I really don't have to "get under" his center of gravity (for a hip throw). But yet I can throw people who are the same height or shorter than me. Weird.

Laurie F

if you were just practicing one set throw then he probaly was just being a jerk :lol: . or if you weren't you might not have tried to get as low as you could to throw him. or it could have just been a bad day and you weren't focussed?... :P :D :idea: or he could have been wearing a lead gi... :o :lol: of corse unless he was super strong he would be on the floor withing 3 min of practicing throws :lol: ...

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown

LOL. He is a tall skinny guy. He isn't a very good uki :( I threw my nephew with no problem, and he outways the tall guy by a good 50 pounds (but my nephew is shorter ... 5'10). So I'm thinking that he didn't want to be thrown. Oh well LOL.

Laurie F

being tall and thin is a disadvantage in judo, im taller than most people in my class and it can be a nightmare throwing the small fat people, you have to get low and have a strong stance to do it effectively (or atall), its worth trying out to see how you do though.

Shotokan Karate - brown belt 2nd kyu

Judo - Yellow belt

Jujustu - recently started, white belt

If you are tall, try working things more suited for taller people. Obviously, things like ippon seionage won't help you any. Work sweeps and sweeping throws, like harai goshi and uchi mata. hane goshi may be a good one also.

it's not about strength...it's about where you hit them to throw off their balance, where you lift from, or where your hand is around their head. sure you might be able to get a few people down with pure strength but most people will just throw you easier. do everything the correct way...no matter how long it takes or how much you don't like it. don't go for speed and power, accuracy is #1. good luck :)

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown