• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going to a Martial Arts Tournament Saturday

kungfumaster

I am going to a martial arts Tournament saturday. I will be competing in forms and sparring in the 16 yr high belt devision. This tournament will be a mostly karate tournament. We will be the only Kung fu school their. Any advice on forms or sparring will be appreciated Thanks.

Im great you are not

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is hard to say "don't get nervous", because you will be, especially in the forms competition. Just be prepared! Go over your form until you don't have to think about it. Be VERY courteous to the judges. Point sparring is about speed and accuracy, also keep the clock in mind. If time is running out and you are behind you can't just lay back. If you have a lead, and time is running out make sure you protect it.

These are just a few tips. There is no way to tell you everything on this forum...Just BE PREPARED!! Good Luck! Let me know how you do!

Yeah, white tiger did a good job, take his advise! Be sure to get plenty of rest and water before hand, you wnat to be at %100. DOn't worry about winning in your first tournament. You kind of just getting your feet wet, getting used to it. pay attention to everything your team leader/Sensei does, so you will know what to do if you want to go alone or lead a team one day.

Being nervous is perfectly natural. Personally, I found it made me compete better! My yells were louder and my strikes were stronger in my forms. In sparring, my techniques were faster.

Just don't let your nervousness overtake you. Tell yourself that YOU are in control and nothing (especially not your own nerves!) will stand in your way! That works for some people :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

lol thanks for the advice tibby and monkeygirl. Yeah im not to to nervous just anxious :kaioken: my form is looking really well sharp and fluid hopefully theyll be able to judge a chinese patern well enough. in sparring im going to try to win but hopefully learn more than anything :brow: :karate:

Im great you are not

No prob. I've never done any Chinese arts and don't know jack about them, but if the Kata (for whatever you clal them) are anything like I see from pics and TV, you have a lot of those karate guys beat for beautiful form!