• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please Help a Karate Mom!

karatemom11725681445

Yes, I think he is pretty strict in all of his classes and he is very serious about it. But, like some of you have said, a six year old might need to be shown more than one time. I am going to see how my son does in this class and if he passes the test and can go to yellow belt, we may change schools. He had the pre-test last week and didn't pass because of these two kicks. We will work on it! Thanks again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I posted advice, I agree that you should not try to teach someone karate if you do not know karate. Perhaps just read him our responses.

The instructor should correct his kicks, not just fail him and tell him they are wrong. If the instructor isn't going to teach, then what are you paying for? I suggest asking him for help, and if he is upset or refuses, find new teacher.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

If the instructor only showed a young child once, and not again, failed him on a pretest and won't instruct more and expects you to show up (and I assume pay extra) for a belt test, I'd go elsewhere. The focus should be on learning, not acquiring a belt. And, with that teaching style, learning may be difficult. It takes thousands of correct repetitions to get even the basic movements down. Once for a child is not even close to enough.

I also have kids in MA. In fact that's why I got back into it, so we could all do something as a family. You obviously sound like you're a very caring and involved mother. And that's GREAT. But don't fret this too much. Just make sure that your school is the right school for you and your son. And, as far as asking for advice, be careful. Everyone here is very helpful and no one would steer you wrong. But, at the end of the day, the only one that will be grading your son is your instructor. There are many subtle differences in a lot of basic techniques between styles (and even schools of the same style). That's why it's important to get your instructor to either teach you exactly how they want it or point you to reference materials they want you to use, and stick to them for technical advice in relation to belt testing.

karatemom#1 wrote:

I think he is pretty strict in all of his classes and he is very serious about it. But, like some of you have said, a six year old might need to be shown more than one time. I am going to see how my son does in this class and if he passes the test and can go to yellow belt, we may change schools.

Don't wait that long to change schools!

Your son's instructor is not strict, nor is he serious. He's an idiot. It doesn't

matter what his reasons are for teaching in this way--he is wrong.

Discipline is important when children learn martial arts. They are learning

potentially injurious techniques, and need to listen, pay attention and do

what is asked of them. However, it is important that your son feels able

to politely ask questions, and ask to see techniques again (and again, and

again, if necessary). How else can he learn? It's simply not acceptable

to expect a parent to pick up the slack.

DokterVet points out you are paying for a service, which the instructor

is not providing. I agree it's a waste of money, but even if the instructor

taught for free his attitude would be intolerable. It's not a question of money;

if you promise to provide a service, than that is what you should

do. Even if you were a black belt in your son's art, and could teach him

yourself, this would still hold true.

Learning martial arts should be fun, as well as hard work. Your son

deserves an instructor who will encourage him, praise him when he

succeeds, gently correct him when he is wrong and takes a genuine

interest in his development. It doesn't sound like he is getting that, at the

moment.

I hope my post has been helpful to you. Good luck.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Thanks, I understand what you are all saying. I thinkg that at 6 my son does need to be shown things more than one time to learn it. It isn't everything that the instructor teaches that he says that about, just this one thing. He said " I am only going to show you the difference between these two kicks one time and don't ask me to show you again before the test". I am not sure why he took that stance with this. My son took the test again last night and passed. (I was paying attention when the instructor showed him the one time, so I did remember that he was supposed to point his toes when he did the roundhouse kick. I know from all of these responses that some instructors teach the studernt to use the ball of their foot, not to point the toes when doing the roundhouse kick.)

I am not sure what we will do from this point on - he only has one more white belt class and then a break before the yellow belt class starts. My son wants to continue in Karate, but he was so nervous and crying before the test last night. Also, last night during the class, the instructor fussed at another little boy and made him sit out of the class for talking. The little fellow just cried and cried. Are you all telling me that this is not normal for Karate? I just assumed that it was serious business and this was how all the instructors would act. :-?

Hi karatemom #1:

At your son's age, karate can be serious, but fun at the same time. There are many ways to instill discipline in a child during their lesson, but it seems from what you describe, the instructor may be a little short on the kids.

Or, if the child was talking and being disruptive, then I can see the instructor sitting them out. But I can only see that as a last resort to previous warnings. Also, it how the discipline is adminstered. Was the child taken to the side and spoke to, or was it a loud announcement for everyone to hear?

Many schools have a kids program set up, and many don't. Is the school your child attend have a set kids program? Since it sounds like your fairly new at the school, I'd talk to some of the other parents and get a feel from them as to how they like the school, or to see if they may have concerns, but never brought it to light.

In any case, since your son likes his training, just make sure he continues to have fun at it. If he no longer is having fun, make sure it's due to the instruction he's getting or lack of, and seek out another program. The last thing for you son to experience is a negative vibe from his martial arts experience.

Good luck~

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Everyone here has good points. As an instructor in a very successful kids program I have a few cents to add too.

Teaching children is an art in itself and an instructor can make or break a kid very quickly. Some instructors can teach adults fine but have no business teaching kids. Here in lies the dilema and I think the advice to talk to other parents of kids your sons age is very wise.

Learning styles and developmental stages play a big role in how successful a student-instructor relationship will be. If the instructor has no clue and is unable to adapt to the age and style of the kid it may be a struggle for all and could lead to having a promising student turned off forever. As suggested, specified kids programs are better for this age group as the instructors should be keen to this.

Along with differences in development and learning styles come differences in discipline styles. Again this should ideally be geared towards the child but kids should also be able to adapt to the structure of the class or they may not be ready to fully participate in a martial arts program. Your son is 6 so this probably isn't a concern but it could be for others in the class-specifically the child you mentioned that had to sit out (of course I am only generalizing as I do not know the circumsances). I would give the instructor the benefit of doubt in this case until I knew more/observed more.

Lastly, is your son having fun? This is the most important thing at this age. If he is, let it be and keep an eye out. If he isn't, find another program fast before he loses interest and/or has a bad experience. Keep in mind that it is perfectly normal for a 6 year old to be nervous and even cry before their first two tests. Support and encourage wherver you can-eventually he will overcome and be well on his way down a truely wonderful path.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

we show the kids in our school something simple like a punch like 50 times let alone a side/ roundhouse. i am almost a blue belt and still don't have them perfect..they are just supposed to get better.

Tae Kwon Do

15-years old

purple--belt

Bottom line: You're school sucks. Find a new one. Any school where an instructor won't put in the effort to correct technical mistakes of their students is certainly not a good one. The anti-questioning rules even hint of a cult-like atmosphere.