• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidekick:

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/imaf/images/sidekick.jpg

See how the toes are pulled back? The striking point for this kick is the bottom of the foot/heel. This kick goes straight out, so if two opponents are facing each other in a sideways fighting stance, this kick will go straight for the opponent's rib. It's hard to explain online, but the kick is chambered straight back and thrown straight out...the bottom of his foot should always be facing his target!

Roundhouse kick:

http://www.fullcontact.com.au/seido/Images/Michelle%20Roundhouse%20kick.jpg

See how her toes are pointed? The striking point for this kick is the top of the foot..the toes MUST be pointed so they aren't broken. If two fighters are facing each other in a sideways fighting stance, this kick will be aimed for their torso/back. A roundhouse kick will hit the left or right side of a target, (depending on whether you kick with the left or right foot, respectively) but never the front or back of the target.

I hope that helps YOU understand the kick...one-on-one instructor time will be the best solution. If you stay and watch your son's classes, really focus on the techniques and try to learn with him so you can help him later on. :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I find most beginners have trouble with side kick and basically end up doing a roundhouse kick until they get it.

Side kick is a difficult kick. The key is to pull your butt in (or rotate your hips forward) when the kick goes out. He should practice kicking very low in order to get it. If his butt is sticking out, he doesn't have it yet.

The motion of the foot should not swing around like a roundhouse kick; it shoots straight out into the target. In order to do this, you need to chamber it like a front kick: Knee way up, leg vertical. Getting the knee up is ESSENTIAL even for low kicks. He may have been taught to chamber in front of him, then twist as he throws the kick out (This way is harder, but IMO more powerful), or to turn sideways as he brings his leg up, then throw the leg out. Either way is valid; he should do it the way in which his instructor taught him.

And just a comment on Monkeygirls' post, often in karate roundhouse kicks are done with the feet in a 'front kick position' with the toes pulled up and contacting with the ball of the foot. This is a penetrating kick to the body as opposed to the 'whacking' horizontal hit that is usually attributed to roundhouses. Most karate clubs will eventually teach to use both contact areas for roundhouses, but the white belt should just do it the way he has been taught.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Another way to visualize these kicks:

Side kick- if you held a 10" diameter tube between your son and his opponent, the kick chambers, then the foot travels straight down the tube to his opponent. And it returns and rechambers on the same path, straight back out htrough the tube!!! He then plants his foot forward or back, depending on what he wants to do. (Never drop the foot straight down from a kick.)

Roundhouse kick- the kick chambers, knee pointing at the target. The kick delivers in an arc, like it was skiming over the top of a table. It may return by the same path or take a different path, depending on what he wants to do next.

I didn't go into getting the hip into the kick because others already did that. But it is important. Another thing to make sure he's doing is turning the heel of the supporting foot towards the opponent when he kicks. That will help get more hip and more power into the kick. But more important, it will prevent knee dammage or injuries.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

Hello,

I have a six year old son who is in white belt Karate. He has a test and is having trouble with the difference between a side kick and a roundhouse kick. Can anyone please tell me the difference between these two kicks so that I can help him? Thanks so much. :-?

Um, i think his teacher is probably the one to help him. If you want to help him, learn it yourself.

Thanks you so much monkeygirl, DokterVet, and delta1. You guys are so nice and helpful. I appreciate the pictures.

mikS - Even though I am not taking the 6 & 7 year old Karate class myself, I still think it is appropriate to help him if I can. The instructor told the students that he was going to show them the roundhouse kick one time and not to come back and ask him the difference between it and the side kick, so I had to seek help elsewhere.

Thanks everyone else for your help.

show them only once??? Thats kinda cruel, esp for a 6 year old. My instructor just chuckled and showed me the 'right' way to kick when I stubbed my toe on the bag.

What if you're not a natural kicker?

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

They were told not to ask? Wow that's pretty strict. Well, at least he has a great mom like yourself to help him out :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

If the instructor will only show any technique once be it a 6 year old or an adult that is bad teaching.

check out a new school

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"