• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bow

wilko9999

Not necessarily - some formalized bunkai teach eye contact during bowing since you are 'engaged in combat' and watching your opponent to make sure they are finished or have given up. Most Dojo bowing should, of course, be done without eye contact as a form of respect. I say - bow if in doubt, ya can't have too much respect in the world!

So what you are saying is that if someone would try to kill you, you would bow to them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure of the proper way to bow but in my class we keep eye contact. My friend that was is japan said thay they bow very low almost to the point as who can go the lowest. So i just honor what my dojo does and keep eye contact. we bow to eachother, sensi and to the training hall.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Tote doesn't get it because he doesn't want it. That's fine. His opion is his opinion and there's obviously no altering that. You can learn something from everyone, even if it's what not to do or how not to be. But that's just my opinion. :wink:

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I have some Japanese friends here in SoCal and they assure me that it is not a dying art!! Not even in the Japanese community here, let alone in Japan. FWIW

Not necessarily - some formalized bunkai teach eye contact during bowing since you are 'engaged in combat' and watching your opponent to make sure they are finished or have given up. Most Dojo bowing should, of course, be done without eye contact as a form of respect. I say - bow if in doubt, ya can't have too much respect in the world!

So what you are saying is that if someone would try to kill you, you would bow to them.

Yes, exactly! :P

Kill is love

Get serious

Get serious

Listen Miss/Mr or Mrs, you don't have to say that, cause I meant that and when you mean something, it is already serious.

It's the same like you say: get a life. But how can you say that when you don't know anything about my life?

You know what? You should relax more and you should: take things easily.

right. :)

Kill is love

Nice quote, AndrewGreen!

Bowing is not a form of respect in the dojo today. We are required to bow whether we respect or not. I find that the best way to show respect is simply to be respectful. Bowing is just another one of the dogmatic practices we put up with to train in a dojo.