• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bow

wilko9999

Do you bow when you enter church? No? Then why bow when you enter the dojo?

We genuflect before we enter the pew. And we bow when we pass before the blessed sacrament.

Ooops my mistake ... I was raised babtist, no bowing there. The point I was trying to make is that all of the bowing and strange customs, such as kneeling or turning from the teacher when you bow, borders on religious ritual, such as the things you just mentioned. Perhaps instead of bowing before a match you should knock gloves, or shake hands? For those of us in America, that is the American custom.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many that feel the way that you do smr. However, the best answer we have is that we are practicing a Japanese art and we have accepted some of their custom as part of it. They do not consider bowing as a part of a religious ceremony. They see it as a sign of respect. It is done in businesses as well as the dojo. In many ways it is their equivalent of the handshake.

And the bow upon entering the dojo is the equivalent of the old practice of removing ones hat when indoors.

Bowing has become a habit for me. Sometimes I will bow when entering my house, someone elses house, church, etc, lol. Once or twice, I've even bowed before sitting down to the computer! lol. I geuss it just becomes a habit after while, both my schools require it, it is just a thing of respect.

There are many that feel the way that you do smr. However, the best answer we have is that we are practicing a Japanese art and we have accepted some of their custom as part of it. They do not consider bowing as a part of a religious ceremony. They see it as a sign of respect. It is done in businesses as well as the dojo. In many ways it is their equivalent of the handshake.

The Japanese threw out the Okinawan customs for karate. The Korean threw out the Japanese customs. Why should we keep them?

The Bow is a sign of respect, but it is one based on Asian religious and cultural beliefs.

Someone sneezes and you say "Bless you" is that religious or cultural? It is a part of our culture (many atheists will say it) but it is based on religion. While many people might not see it as having religious significance, that is its roots. So for some that is something that should not be done based on there religious convictions.

For a while saying the Lords prayer before school was a part of our culture, it may still be in some places. So if someone raised with that as there culture, even if they treated it just as part of the culture, wen to a different culture to teach and had them say it before hand would that be appropriate?

I really don't care, bow or don't bow whatever you like. But some people do have a problem with it, and it is a valid concern for them even if you can't see it as such.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I don't get it. If you're a karateka, then why the heck do you ask about: should I bow or not? (I dont mean to be unfriendly or something, but isn't it already known or kept in mind that you practice martial arts and the main thing is showing respect??) :roll:

You have to bow anyway, if it is Karate you practice, I mean, hey it shows respect, you HAVE TO bow, it is Karate, understand? If for example a judge shouts: and ..... second place!

And when it's you, you go for the medal and you must bow to the people and then to the judges. I can't immagine a karateka winning first place, gold medal at some kind of World Champinships and then not bow. :lol:

Geez, I wouldn't call that person a karateka. :P

Kill is love

Good answer Martial Girl. When you take a martial arts class you accept that classes doctrine or you move on and find a different school. Bowing is a way of showing respect pure and simple. I have never come across anyone until now that took exception to it. I guarantee that you would do it to show resprect at any tournament that I run or work or you would find yourself out the door. Yes we are in America, but we owe a great debt to our Asian predecessors that can only be repaid by honoring them in small ways such as bowing to show the respect that a martial art should instill in you. I'll climb down from my soap box now.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yeah, that's right, so yes you're in America, AND you have the oppurtunity to study and practise martial arts, so be greatful for that and show at least a little respect for the Asian culture that brought Karate to you in America.

Actually...when I think about martial arts and Karate without bowing and this respect thing, it would be kind of... boring or something. I'm sure that without it, martial arts would turn in to some kind of lame boxing, something like that.

Hey, think about.. for example basket. Do you see any respect from the basket players? No. See how they say swear-words all the time to each other while playing basket? It's terrible!

And now, karate. One karateka vs another karateka in a tournament. They don't say swear-words. And no matter who wins the tournament, they NEVER say bad words to each other, instead, they bow to each other, shake hands and say: it was a honour to compete against you. Isn't that nice? :karate: And I've seen many karatekas say like that. And thank god I chose karate! I'm so glad I practise karate! :nod:

Kill is love