• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Delaying testing

Howdy, all.

When do you test for belts?

Is it something your instructor decides? Do you wait until you feel ready?

Most importantly, have you ever delayed testing, even though your

instructor thought you were ready, because you didn't feel confident? Or do

you think that would be considered rude (because you ignored your

instructor's advice)?

I would like your thoughts on whether it matters if you hang around the

middle ranks for a while. If you plan to study the arts for life (barring

accidents), isn't it better to try to perfect what you know, rather than

continually adding new techniques? Or is there a danger you would never

be satisfied, things would never be perfect? Does it depend on what you

hope to get out of the arts?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Our instructor decides the earliest that a student can graduate. With me, he has frequently given me the option. He outright asks "When do you want to graduate?", or "Do you want to graduate in (month)?"

He makes it clear that, although you've met the requirements, and he thinks you're ready, you do have the choice to wait.

One of our Masters once said, "If you don't make any mistakes during a graduation, then we didn't push you hard enough and waited too long to let you advance". He was basically saying that you shouldn't perfect every level, but rather challenge yourself by moving on. Learning never stops; even a Black Belt is just an advanced student.

1st Degree Black Belt, Jhoon Rhee Style Tae Kwon Do

I delayed testing twice (this being the second time). My instructor pretty much leaves it up to us. There is tip testing every month, and everyone is allowed to test (if they meet the requirements). But not everyone does. They either backout or they are not ready. My instructor is really cool about it.

Laurie F

I spent a year as a white belt before testing because I was nervous of doing a grading. Since then I have always graded every time I was eligible. The instructor would tell you if you were eligible by the amount of time spent training but not good enough to grade and he often tells the juniors to wait until a later grading.

I think that if your instructor thinks you are ready to grade and you do not do it then it comes across as either you are afraid to do the grading or that you think that your opinion of your skills is better than your instructors - in which case ; if you know better than them why are you going to them for your training?

We have a few people who are long past the date they could have graded but have not and they say they do not want to take it until they are certain they will pass. I think though if they took it, the worst that could happen would be that they failed and were told what they needed to work on, and if they don't take it well they'll never move on. I know one person who has been eligible to go for their shodan for 7 years and constantly finds an excuse to put off taking it.

We don't actually have a set testing in the dojo I attend, basically whenever the sensei feels that you've achieved what you need to at that belt level he just tells you to move up to the next row of belts.

At my club, testing is every 6 months, and no one is told to test or not to test. They just go if they think they're ready.

Delaying testing is my middle name! I didn't sit my first belt test 'cause I was worried that all my basics were faulty, and then I skipped this test, too, but that was more to do with the fact that I'd been ill for a couple of weeks and then had to miss a week of class for studying, so by the time the belt tests came I'd missed 3 or 4 weeks training before them, and I felt it'd be a bit cheeky to just turn up for the test after being away for so long.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

in my shotokan club, the lower grades have tests every 3 months. basically everyone can attempt the test if they want, the sensei only advises. after brown belt the tests get further apart. i have several years to go before i'm even allowed to take my next test. in my kendo club you take the kyu tests 3 months apart then wait a year or so for the shodan test.

i try to continue to advance in my skills gradually. i take tests and get belts but they don't mean that much to me.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

We are given the option, however if my instructor feels someone should test or they have waited forever to test he will pull them off and talk to them. At the same time if he feels you need help or should wait he'll tell you that too.

Nyteshades