• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’m talking about Gun F/X sim weapons. I wouldn’t call those real weapons, would you?

See my first post on page 6 for those questions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m talking about Gun F/X sim weapons. I wouldn’t call those real weapons, would you?

I've never heard of these, but it's quite possible. I've only ever heard of police training using simunitions.

See my first post on page 6 for those questions.

Sorry, I didn't see those.

I suppose you could say it originated in North America, though some "universal" techniques have been used from other styles. Technically speaking those moves did come from a specific art but are practiced across many arts nowadays. (EG Rear Naked Choke and Double Leg Takedown)

It's been developed collaboratively by myself and by the people that I spar with. If you had to pick one person as the founder I'd probrably say myself, though not all of the moves were developed by me.

We didn't really give the moves we developed names, but I suppose I could still give some kind of descriptive name for them.

The ones borrowed from other arts thus far are:

Rear Naked Choke

Double Leg Takedown

Single Leg Takedown

A takedown that I don't know the actual name of, you sidestep a strike and kind of spin them around you.

Piledriver

I'm not a big fan of arm-bars, but I grudgingly include them too because they are effective. :P

Kneeing - not really taken from a particular martial art, though I can't claim I invented it.

Spear - again not a traditional martial arts technique, but some people would consider brawling an art.

Tackle - if all else fails... :P

The ones we've developed would best be described as:

The "disarm" takedown - this is intended as a knife or gun disarm but can be used in any situation where the victims arms are in front of them.

The "paladin stomp" - very neat, it makes my house shake. For obvious reasons, never tested on an unarmoured opponent. It's basically a much more developed version of stomping on a person once they're on the ground.

The "leaping kick" - not much to say about that, jumping up while kicking.. kind of like an uppercut with your foot (in effect). It's faster than it sounds like it would be.

On top of that there is of course "targets of opportunity," if the person leaves a vital area open then by all means take a swipe. The remainder of the art focuses on tactical movement, as well as various weapon techniques, knife, handgun, SMG, compact AR, stick (short sticks, like Kali, not like a bo staff), and of course, the use of the environment as a weapon.. there's always something pointy around.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

So basically a group of guys with no real training goofing around in the backyard trying to act out there D&D fantasies then?

How about this question, define "Paladin", not what you do, in a historical sense

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

So basically a group of guys with no real training goofing around in the backyard trying to act out there D&D fantasies then?

Yes. As we all know D&D involves compact assault rifles and handguns. Roll in a submachine gun of slaying +5 in your tactical holster of holding along with your HEAT Rockets +3 and you'd be ready to go. :roll:

Ironic too that you judge my art based solely on it's name, yet the website for the academy you claim to teach at says that it in fact encourages it's students to develop their own style.

Also I could not advise anyone to "goof around" with automatic weapons, flamethrowers, and rocket launchers, especially in a back yard within view of the general public. I hear the police have a tendancy to overreact when they see people in combat gear wearing gas masks and toting assault weapons.

How about this question, define "Paladin", not what you do, in a historical sense

... as if that matters. If you really like, the term applies to the knights closest to the monarch, and at the time the term was used, the monarch was, of course, the head of the church as well. The term applied to his or her uppermost bodyguards and military generals, though it was not an official title. Dungeons and Dragons took the term for their game long, long after it had primarily fallen out of common use.

Actually, Paladins where first used at the titles of the 12 peers of Charlemagne. That right, the Same 12 that filling the ranks of the round table. Paladin's are mostly legends.

So, where do get these Flame throwers and automatic weapons and rocket launchers?

Actually, Paladins where first used at the titles of the 12 peers of Charlemagne. That right, the Same 12 that filling the ranks of the round table. Paladin's are mostly legends.

That's where the term came into popular use, but those were just stories. The term was not invented for those stories.

So, where do get these Flame throwers and automatic weapons and rocket launchers?

The flamethrowers and rocket launchers I build myself, because military suppliers gyp you big time. Automatic weapons on the other hand are relatively cheap so I can just buy them, though I've been considering building my own so that I can use caseless rounds. (thus far no commercially availible ARs use them, only sporting rifles, so I'd have to make my own.)

That's where the term came into popular use, but those were just stories. The term was not invented for those stories.

Um... yeah, it was...

The flamethrowers and rocket launchers I build myself, because military suppliers gyp you big time. Automatic weapons on the other hand are relatively cheap so I can just buy them, though I've been considering building my own so that I can use caseless rounds. (thus far no commercially availible ARs use them, only sporting rifles, so I'd have to make my own.)

Really now? :lol: Someone else want to take that

Um... yeah, it was...

Well, I would disagree with that, but there's really no way for either of us to prove it.

Um... yeah, it was...

Well, I would disagree with that, but there's really no way for either of us to prove it.

Yeah there is. Do some research. The word Paladin is as Arthurian as Camelot and the round table

Your "Research" proves nothing except that the people you "learned" that from don't know either. Unless your source professes to be, or to personally know someone who was alive over a thousand ago when the word was used, I'd highly question the authenticity of their knowledge on the matter.

Further I'd highly question the relevance of the "historical use" of the word. I suppose some people must smoke a lot of sticks.. surely it can't be a cigarette when it's called a "fag," which originally was used to refer to a bundle of sticks. Heck, come to think of it, this site shouldn't end in ".com" because that originally was used to denote commercial sites. It should be ".edu." While we're at it, I don't think the term "coke" should be used to refer to cola, because it was originally used to refer to cocaine.

The point being:

A) You can't prove the origin of a word any more than any other living person can.

B) Even if you could, it would be irrelevant. I could call my stove a freezer, it wouldn't stop it from cooking my food. I doubt it would hear your pleas of "but that's not what the word freezer was meant to refer to!"

C) No matter how much you bash the name of the art that I practice, it's not going to make me say "Gee, I never realized that some guy on the internet who I'll never meet disagrees with me. I guess I should just throw out thousands of dollars of assault weapons and tactical gear. I have seen the light! MMA is so real! I should just drop everything and devote my entire life to MMA, as that must be far more effective than something based around realistic circumstances. Never mind the ability to disarm and use weapons, they never have weapons in MMA anyway. I should also never practice eye gouging, biting, or fighting with steel toed combat boots, since I'll never use those things in MMA. I can just rely on my MMA experience to protect me from people toting knives, handguns, and compact gas-operated semi-automatic rifles. After all, it works in MMA." :roll:

PS The stories of Charlemagne and those of King Arthur were not related in any way, except that they had similar topics.