• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hook kick help

Kumite988

The hook kick is a weak kick do not expect to develop significant power with it.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps its not as powerful as other kicks..

But I've KOed a few people with it.. and been KOed by them as well..

Good enough for me - I use them occasionally.

:D

Keep Smiling!

As my first post, maybe I can help here.

Many people think that power from the hook is generated from the snaping back of the kicking leg ... or hamstring strength. This is not acurate at all.

Like has been said earlier, focus on your target. Aim the kick ... much like a side kick ... to the inside of your target. Then whip the foot around AND at the same time sweep the upper thigh in the direction of the kick. Its this sweep of the upper thigh which starts at the hip that gives you the power.

For practice, and as an example, have someone hold 2 targets about shoulder width apart. Kick the inner target with the hook and work the kick through to the outer target. This will force you to sweep the leg through. Both targets should "feel" the same force of contact. As your tech gets better, widen the distance between the targets.

When done correctly, hooks are a very strong kick. They only seem weak when you are "snapping" the kicking leg without the follow through from the upper thigh.

Hope that helps ;)

Wrestling, Tai Chi, Judo, Isshinryu, Tang Soo Do

after 35 years I haven't mastered a single one.

I've seen two different types of 'hook' kicks - the lower type that involves more hamstring contraction, and the higher level usually that involves more of the hip movement mentioned before and a straighter leg. Does any one else see this distinction?

I'm not sure. The one I mentioned doesn't involve a straight leg but the same motion as "bending" the leg ... its just at the same time as the hip follow through.

Wrestling, Tai Chi, Judo, Isshinryu, Tang Soo Do

after 35 years I haven't mastered a single one.

• 3 months later...

A good hook kick requires you get a lot of hip into it. But the kick is the backward hook, so that is where the most power and hip rotation is. When I do a hook kick, my hips feel like they stutter, if that makes sense. You get hip motion when you side kick past the target/opponent, then a really seriouse hip movent as you snap the hook back.

Another thing to watch for is your 'side kick'. This is not the main part of the kick, so snap it out fast and hard, but don't fully commit it or you'll rob power from your hook. Don't over extend, and stop the motion just before you would pull it back with a normal side kick. Instead of returning the leg, you immediately snap the hook.

Difficult to explain, but I hope that helps.

Edit: I thought about it, and that sounds like I'm saying you interrupt the motion of your kick. Instead of stutter, think more along the lines of a second, larger surge. You get hip, then a lot of hip!

Edited by delta1

Freedom isn't free!

Couple things

Are you kicking with your heel or bottom part of your foot?

We kick with the flat of the foot when sparring, and heel for the heavy bags....the heel will generate some POWER and kicking with the flat of the foot you leg is more relaxed and your kick will be FASTER.

As far as power goes --- its not from swinging the leg....in fact, hook is kinda a misnomer --- this part is going to be hard to describe but I'll do this best I can:

When you lift your leg to throw the kick....turn your bottom foot (not toes...that does nothing) --- push your HEEL to the front (in other words the foot that is still on the ground, that heel should be facing front.

Get your KNEE UP...it should be pointed 45 degrees and look like the same chamber as if you are going to do a roundhouse kick

No need to swing your leg thru --- the extended leg needs to only pull through about a half of a foot (think one side of the face to the other --- blam!)

NOW THE KEY!!! As you are kicking -- PULL YOUR HIP THRU!!!! As the leg kicks across the target and you are getting ready to retract the lower part of the leg (from knee to foot) --- they upper part of that leg needs to follow thru. YOUR POWER IS IN THE HIPS! That is why I say turn the bottom foot -- it grounds you .... and pull your hip through.

OK -- way to long...sorry. Hope it helps

KarateForums.com Sempai