• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason they would not want to do knockout is danger potential. Just imagine two highly trained BBs going at it full tilt trying to knock the other out...

Can you say bloodshed and broken bones?

Patience is a grand- either you can learn it or I can make you learn it.

Nope, try again.

It's been done many times with little blood shed and broken bones.

There are plenty of full contact combat sports.

I assume you've at least heard of boxing? Muay Thai? MMA? K1? Vale Tudo?

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

I've never been a fan of the point sparring I've seen. I completely understand the concept of not getting injured. After all, those in the UFC these days are professionals. Most of us have jobs or schools we want to go to and be functional at come Monday morning. But most of what I've seen develops bad habits by only allowing points to be scored by "hitting the dot". In focusing on that, they leave other parts exposed that, in more realistic scenarios, would be attacked (i.e. knees and head). Also, they reward the fastest punch or kick, not the most effective. In one class I knocked a guy sensless with a backfist (legal, but late). He couldn't continue, but he scored the point first. In a real fight he'd probably be unconscious.

Anyway, I'm all for a realistic compromise between effective training and safety.

Point fighting can be good for accuracy and speed, getting KO'ed is no fun, speed and accuracy is practised by everyone! To have the power and not use it is good because it will always be there as a back up plan (or to settle down an opponent that is kicking below the belt).

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 2 weeks later...
Huh?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

point fighting is for wimps, cowards, and girls. full contact is the best. i do not want to jinx myself but i have not had a broken bone yet. sore knee problems from time to time but no broken bones.

falcon kick!!!

i think you have to try every type of training and that includes point and semi and full contact. different environments train different things.

the more different environments you experience the more you will learn.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."