• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i do not understand point fighting in tournaments. why do they do point fighting instead of knock out. I would rather fight till knock out, what do you guys think? Edited by Martial Law

Be like the water - Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see your "Point". Heehee.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Because knock-outs cause brain damage; and fighting for knockouts has a much stronger tendancy to damage other parts of your body.

If you wish to fight for "knock-out or submission" I'm sure a Google search will yield everything from boxing matches (if you prefer a lot of rules and equiment) to UFCs. Feel free to enter at your leisure and let us know how it works out for you.

What the heck is American Freestyle? Do you get knocked out alot in that style?

The idea is to get hit as little as possible and to enable your opponent from attacking as fast as possible. Point sparring is just for fun.

Fighters do need a certain amount of protection from injury.Rules and a type of point system can sometimes offer that.Remember the type of fighting that is being described here isn't life or death, there not trying to kill oneanother, just over come or over power the other one to a point you can reasonably call a winner.

Never give in

Yeah, I guess that's cool. Me and my friends used to slap fight eachother and you can learn quite a bit from that.

Yes, I'd much rather point spar than go for knockouts. I've never been knocked out and don't inted to start any time soon! Due to an eye injury, I really can't afford any extra cranial trauma/brain damage.

Another good thing about point fighting is that it focuses on a different set of skills. Point sparring takes speed, accuracy and--here's the most important part--control. It's a more artistic form of fighting in many ways, and gives you more depth as a fighter. Point sparring can often make you a better knockout fighter...since it's at a faster pace, it improves your reaction time.

I'll move this to the Sport MA forum :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Pointfighting is a game of tag. Main function is to get people thinking they are fighting without really fighting.

For anything other then learning to point fight it is pretty useless and can be counter productive.

Here is the kicker though, I've seen a much higher injury rate in non-contact point fighting then in much less restrictive contact sparring, go figure.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

if knock out was done in tournaments ther would be alot of injured people in WKF tournaments etc . it would be more like UFC . point spariing is safer than techniqual knockout . but there are some tournament that aloow full contact karate .