• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

belt testing

phishphan

what is the typical time limit for belt testing, i've heard 3 months i've herad 2 months, i've even heard as soon as you can pass the test. if you feel you are ready are you allowed to ask your sensei to take the test? i've read opinions of both sides, i would like some input on this question. don't get me wrong i'm in no immediate rush to get the next belt, i just feel that i have more skill than some higher ranks, but i'm limited to a certain belt cuase i've taken for a few months less. i do not think that time should play as impt of a roll if your skill level is more advanced.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It really depends on the norm in your dojo

that you train in.

I could say it is about three months for low

kyu ranks, but many systems also have

total time in training, time in rank, age,

kihon, kata, and kumite requirements etc.

most systems, as you go up in rank, the

time between possible ranking becomes more

and more, especially after Shodan.

Yes, of course technical profiecency is important

but it is not the only piece of the pie.

and there is wide variation across dojo,

organizations, styles, teachers, etc.

good luck

P.S. did you get any literature from your dojo?

sometimes it is spelled out for you.

My school is every three months. But I'm not going to test (my choice) for my blue. I'm not ready. But you are the other way around. So, I would ask your instructor. Explain to him/her how you feel, and ask if you can test.

Laurie F

It can be hard at times but try not to look to hard at what other people are doing. Martial arts training is a personal thing,concentrate on being the best YOU can be and train as hard and as often as you can and in time you will get what you want.You may pick things up quick and your technique may be good but remember theres much more to learn than that.Your learning about yourself to,that may take a bit longer.Through dedicated hard traning you can learn alot about yourself, your good points and your weaknesses but it does take time, don't try to rush it.

Grading times vary alot from style to stlye and association to association.

Heres ours,

10th Kyu to 3rd Kyu-3 monthly

3rd Kyu to 1st Kyu-6monthly

1st Kyu to Shodan-1yr continous training from date of achieving 1st Kyu/ must have trained consistantly and with no breaks for 3yrs at least.

Shodan to Ni Dan- Must of trained minimum of 2yrs from date of last grade and be over 18 yrs old.

Ni Dan to San Dan-3yrs consistant training from Ni Dan.

San Dan to Yon Dan-Minimum of 4yrs since San Dan grade/This grade is on the recomendation of the president of the organistion or people elected by him.

Hope I've been of some use to you.

Never give in

We do 3 month and 30 classes. So its not just time but time in the dojo.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Let me add that I still have to give my ok so it may be longer. However the 3 and 30 must be met never sooner.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In my system it starts out around 4-6months then increases as you go higher. Also alot depends on the student and how much they actually practice away from the dojo.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

In my club its 6 months between tests for all coloured ranks, but I don't know how long it is between 1st Kyu and 1st Dan and beyond.

Don't worry about sitting belts, though. When I first started I reckoned that it'd be cool to be able to say that I was a purple, brown or black belt. Now I don't care at all. In fact I've never actually been to an official belt test (although my instructor convinced me to test for my 9th Kyu in class).

In many ways I actually feel belts can be a bind, as occassionally you get the sort of people who reckon they're too good to spar with you, hold pads for you etc. because the strip of material round their waist is considerably darker than the one round yours, and that can be annoying.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.