• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hip flick

But_Why

When doing punches, i'm constantly being told i need to flick my hip on the side thats punching forward and then lock it back into stance to generate more power in my punches. I've been trying to do it, but it's definitely not coming easy :-? . i've only been training a few months and i would like to get better at it.

I know practise is the best way, i was just wondering if you had any good advice or tips on how to do the flick?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
think of hitting someone with your hip and not your hand.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Think of rotating your hip out with your punch, if your punch stays out, your hip should lock in place. If you pull your punch back, then your hip should return. Use the knot on your belt to gauge your trunk/hip rotation. Hope this helps :) .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Oh right, i thought you were supposed to bring your hips back in line when your strike hit.

I was pretty unclear about it. I was going to ask my sensei next time i'm there, but i don't need to now!

Thank you very much.

Let me add a little clarification. The explanation I provided was for when you throw a reverse punch. If you are executing a lunge punch, same hand/same leg forward, then in my opinion, your hip is still forward and locked. Just make sure your punching arm is in alignment with the rest of your body, ie. arms/shoulder/hip. ok, hope this helps even more :D .

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

So I'm not sure here but it sound like when he says:

...i'm constantly being told i need to flick my hip on the side thats punching forward and then lock it back into stance...

he is talking about rotating his hip out, punching, then pulling his hip back a bit thus going back into his "stance".

I have heard of this type of punch where after punching there is an immediate recoil via hips. Not something I would suggest to a beginner as it is tough to get right and when it's wrong it looks very sloppy. Also in my opinion someone starting out should first learn to follow through and let the technique die on its own. Then once he's got that down pat then he might think about tweaking the recoil a bit. But if you don't know how to follow through there won't be any "umph" behind the punch. It will look more like you're slapping someone.

As your instructor seems intent on teaching this to you my suggestion would be to throw the punch from the hip but leave a little room, don't twist the hip all the way. As the punch begins to penetrate for the last 1/10 of the punch ad a little bit more hip into it then jerk it back immediately. The trick is not extending your hip all the way with the initial punch. Leave a little extra for the end and then whip it back. Of course none of this will work if the basics aren't followed. Never lock the elbow. Always keep the elbow under and behind the punch. Always keep the wrist straight from beginning to end. And keep the trajectory of the punch as straight as possible (directly from point A to point B).

Hope this helps. Heck I hope this is what you were referring to.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

It's easy. You just snap your hip out and back as you punch. It gives it a good powerful snap.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

It's easy. You just snap your hip out and back as you punch. It gives it a good powerful snap.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

This is fine tuning a punch and there are many other points that should be taken care of first. Good fist, proper motion of the arms , breathing....etc. Usually if these things are taught first then the hip will take care of itself

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.