• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

could anyone please tell me something about Tang Soo Do? i know very few and every info might help.

most important to me is what it emphasises on, whether it gets me into shape and what the techniques r like.

thanks in advance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hmhm - i checked it out but it does not really help me much. actually the best information so far is that its kinda similar to TKD :)

things that i wanted to know were whether those who study TSD consider it good for selfdefense, good to keep u in shape, what the weapon training consists of and what kinds of techniques are involved.

I have really good links at home, but I'm at work. I'll try to explain it till I can get home LOL.

TSD, in my opinion, is good for self defense. The way I learned it, we did a lot of "real life" situation stuff, but that could vary from school to school. I have used it (a step sparring combo no less) to defend myself in real life.

It definitely keeps/can get you in shape. It is a good workout. You will have the fun of self defense, AND a lot of jump kicks! :) Plus other things of course, but they were my favs.

When I get home, I'll post some links :)

Laurie F

In the old days, all you would have to say is "Tang Soo Do is the art of Chuck Norris!" and everyone was instantly impressed. But that doesn't carry the same weight it did 20-30 years ago :)

It highly depends on the instructor. TSD tends to be a little more "old school" in terms of it's approach to the martial arts. Keep in mind a lot of people who are doing TKD now have their roots in Tang Soo Do.

I can try to give you some general thoughts on TSD.

1. The emphasis lies mostly in the basics. Even with the higher level hyung (forms) you will still see a great deal of basics being performed. Expect lots of repetitions of basic techniques, or combinations of them. While there are also advanced techniques (jump spinning back kick, split kick, sweep, etc.) they are not practiced everyday unless you are on some sort of demonstration team.

2. While a great deal of attention is paid to the kicking techniques of Tang Soo Do, there is a strong emphasis on hand techniques. I'd say in our school (and most others that I've visited) the distribution is about 50/50 when practicing. That being said, there are some very strong kicks in TSD. Wheel and Diagonal kicks are pretty tough. Master Khan in the UK has one of the best I've ever seen. Master Hwang H.C. has the most photographed diagonal kick, for sure!

3. Hyungs are most similar to those practiced in Shotokan. The depth to which you'd explore these applications probably depends on the experience of your instructor. Some Associations may teach different forms at the higher levels, or may approach them from a completely different perspective.

4. Self defense is most often taught in the "1-step" format. I.e. the attacker punches you, grabs your lapel, puts you in a headlock, or whatever the technique is... and the defender responds, sometimes with multiple strikes, sometimes with a joint lock, sometimes with a throw, and sometimes with all of the above.

5. Weapons are not a part of the normal TSD curriculum. Some Associations and Federations have adopted them informally, and others have built curriculums and forms around them. The Association I belong to has forms for Staff, Knife, Sword and Cane. That says nothing about the various Sai, Nunchaku, Kama and Rope forms floating around. Other TSD schools may be completely empty-handed.

TSD is a very dynamic art with many different perspectives on how it should be performed. I know Masters who look very much like the Hard style, while others have a very soft aspect that looks more like Tai Chi or Shaolin White Crane.

TSD very much is in the habit of borrowing what works from other arts, which is a good thing in my opinion. However, it makes it very hard to make general statements about TSD. It has a lot to do with their particular lineage more than anything else. Germans that I have sparred in the past have all been very strong fighters.

http://www.osu.edu/students/btsd is my studio's link. There are a great deal of things on that site that may be of interest to you.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Well, I haven't checked the links you guys posted, but as far as I know, Tang Soo Do was the former name of TaeKwonDo. When the korean masters of Shotokan made a karate organisation in Korea they changed the name to its korean form - just as they did with Kendo, Judo etc. Then, when Tang Soo Do was modified into today's TKD, the name TaeKwonDo was voted most of all, because it was descriptive of the art and because it sounded a lot like Taek Kyon, and ancient street fighting korean martial art which was known for its kicks and cirular movement, and from which TKD takes it from. I dont know why TSD still exists - this is what i've learned from reading the history of TKD. according to this, TKD and TSD and the newer and older forms of the same art respectively. TSD looks a lot like shotokan because it was derived from it and it looks most like ITF TKD (the one Choi-Hong Hi founded) and less like WTF which was founded later as a public organisation in Korea (dont know if it was north or south).

i could be wrong though

Tenets of Tae-Kwon-Do: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit

-Having fun is half success

-Training body to teach mind and training mind to teach body

-You can be the strongest and most flexible person alive - but if you cant use those properly

you've lost half the point of training

budomaru, without sounding rude...

Where the heck did you get that information?

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

. I dont know why TSD still exists - this is what i've learned from reading the history of TKD. according to this, TKD and TSD and the newer and older forms of the same art respectively.

i could be wrong though

No.

They are similar, but not the same. That's like saying, since there is isshin-ryu, why does shorin-ryu still exist.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

well i got it from here:

https://www.vanooyen.org

its in Tae Kwon Do --> TaeKwonDo history --> Detailed History

its quite a long read

as i said i might be wrong - i havent read the article many times

anyway, i guess i probably AM wrong - just check the site yourselves

Tenets of Tae-Kwon-Do: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, Indomitable Spirit

-Having fun is half success

-Training body to teach mind and training mind to teach body

-You can be the strongest and most flexible person alive - but if you cant use those properly

you've lost half the point of training