• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

changing karate styles

phishphan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You should definitely keep your rank. Your rank is a reward for your achievements in martial arts. Just switching to a new style doesn't change what you have done. Your instructor doesn't have the right to take it away. If it were to happen to me, the first thing I would be thinking is that this guy just doesn't wanna lose out on five exam fees.

Knockdowns sumed it up nicely.

It might hurt a little but in a new style you have to earn your rank,unless it's very close indeed to your existing style.That doesn't happen very often unless it's a break off that is basically following the same syllabus as your style.

Believe me thats the way its been for a long time and there are very good reasons for it,honourable ones at that.

Osu.

Never give in

im my eyes you are the best if you stay with one style and master that one style, why beacuse if you have to train and worry about your 2 different styles your not gonna be as good as you would be if you focused on mastering one style

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

Well, I changed style from Shito-ryu to Wado-ryu. My Sensei allowed me to do all the tests and gradings from white in Wado-ryu to my old rank I had. And I made it. I'm glad I didn't have to start over again from white and wear white belt. Some instructors want you to start over again from White and some of them let you keep your belt, but do all the gradings, like I did. It all depends on the instructor. But of course, I'm pretty sure no karateka can keep his/her old rank and not doing any gradings or tests when style is changed. So, there are usually two ways or choices:

1) do all tests from white to your old rank and then wear your old belt and continute in the new style

2) get a white belt and start all over again

I bet you all would choose the second :P , but it's the instructor who decides. :karate:

Kill is love

What is wrong with a white belt? Some of you guys act as if you're an outcast if you wear a white belt. It's just a piece of cloth. The knowledge is what matters and if it's a new style then that's what you need to gain, not a colored piece of cloth. Your new instructor will respect you a great deal more if you are willing to wear a white belt. After Shodan, most of the new instructors that I've had have all insisted that I wear my Black Belt. If I had a choice I wouldn't. In a new style wearing a black belt or a high ranking belt puts more pressure on you that you don't need. You're there to learn just like everyone else.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.