• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

changing karate styles

phishphan

i was wonderin say your a green belt in shito-ryu karate, and you go away to college and there is no shito-ryu dojo around. if u go to a new karate school that is a japanese based karate do u keep your rank? or do u start back at square one? and if so would u be allowed to take a belt test to get up to your old rank knowing all the katas and basic tehniques that u need to know?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well. I just recently transfered from Shotokan to Shorinryu, and I got to keep my rank and once I am up to that rank in that style I can test to get my next rank....my instructor said that I earned that rank and it wasn't his place to take it...if I earned it I get to keep it...I dunno how your instructor will be! :)

"What does not kill you, makes u stronger"

"It's not the belt that u should be afraid of"

4th Kyu Green Belt (Shotokan)

4th Kyu Green Belt (Shorinryu)

Unless your Black I would start over.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You worked hard for your belt, dont take it off for anyone no matter what. Although you should humbly accept learning the basic white belt material (katas, blocks, etc.) Now if an instructor asks you to wear a white belt then he doesn't have enough respect for you, your style or the work you put in to attain that rank, you should then go to another school.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

as a good show of ettiqute, offer to wear a

white belt and let the instructor decide how to handle it.

Even as a 3rd dan I would do the same. And it would be a genuine offer. It shows that you are never too good to learn what he's teaching from the beginning. You may be ranked in another style, but you are not there to learn another style. It's a matter of respect.

Plus having a need for your belt shows an unhealthy dependency. The instructor will pick up on this. You should let him see that you are what you are with or without it.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I was able to keep my rank. BUT I decided to drop rank. There was sooooo much more to learn than my other school. So, for me, if I dropped ranks, it would be easier to learn stuff the right way, instead of having a "crash course" on everything and rushing through it. That's just me, though.

Laurie F

If you wear a white belt in your new style it doesn't mean you lose your old ranking in your first style no doubt you worked hard for that and no-one can take that away from you.However it is respectful to put on the white belt if your starting a new style.Leave it to your teacher to decide.If the styles are very close you may find the teacher will let you wear your green belt and take the next grade as everyone else does.If you pass that, no one can take that from you either. Edited by Gino

Never give in