• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan a combative martial art?

robodjs

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No only because its not the focus. What Shotokan is, is an art that can be combative if you focus on that part of the training. Or it can be SD or exercise or whatever its a very balanced style.

The combative aspect is its power. One Punch one kill is the idea behind it. We teach to kick though blocks and block to hurt not to just block.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Any Martial Art can be combative. Its just that many of them have go in other directions like Sports, recreation, fitness, etc...

As G95 says, it depends on the Focus you give it. I know a couple of Shotokan karate guys that can handle themselfs really good in a real situation.

It depends on your definition of "combative".

Terry O'Neal, editor of Fighting Arts, is a highly graded Shotokan karateka with a lot of "street" experience from working as a bouncer. So obviously there are some combative aspects to it.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

I agree with the posts above...

Any martial art can be Combatative...you just need to change the focus...

Remember you learn the rules first...then you learn to break them...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

as said already, it certainly can be. i think on its own, its not a terribly effective combative art, because it has been watered down for the masses. if you combine some elements of the original karate and kempo from okinawa it can very deadly.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

yes shotokan is a combative style of karate, you will learn how to fight, combat is fighting, and you will know how to fight against your opponent very well, i know this for a fact

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

• 3 weeks later...
I'd say Shotokan is, or at least can be, a good combative art. And I can attest to the poster who said they have good power! A couple of days ago I spared the Shotokan guy (one of the crazy's I've been working out with lately). He's no pushover, and I'm nursing a fat lip now. Even with headgear and gloves he rocked me a few times. The more styles I work out with, the more I learn not to underestimate any of them!

Freedom isn't free!

• 9 months later...

I learned more useable fighting skills in a one-hour self defence tape than in six years of twice a week Shotokan.

Also thanks to Shotokan I have degenerative arthritis at age 14.

I learned more useable fighting skills in a one-hour self defence tape than in six years of twice a week Shotokan.

Also thanks to Shotokan I have degenerative arthritis at age 14.

Yes, but the fact you understood the technique in the tapes could be "blamed" on those 6 years of Shotokan. If you didn't learn much thing in your days in karate it's your fault or the instructors (more his :), because you were under his guidance)

And the health problems could be avoided by smart training and not overpushing yourself.

So please stop saying the style is to blame for all the bad things in the world. Usually the problem runs deeper :karate: