• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many practice Sanchin Kata?

Goju1

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I HATE doing Sanchin!

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of reasons. I guess the main reason is that I'm not very good at it. You're supposed to get a workout from it, and I just can't seem to get the whole "constant flex" thing going. I don't like how I sound with the loud breathing, and I just can't get into it. When Master Advincula does it, he shakes the whole room. I just cannot get that much out of it. I'm sure it's my fault. I would rather do Sunsu kata 10 times over doing Sanchin once. I'll break much more of a sweat, and my heart rate will be much higher doing any other kata. Just my humble opinion. :)

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

as with everyhting else in karate, don't give up on it because you don't think you're good at it. And especially with Sanchin, don't compare yourself to someone else. Keep practicing, it will fall into place. Does he test the conditioning from Sanchin on the advanced belts? Sanchin is the Okinawan way of teaching compression breathing for fighting. I prefer the Tai Chi Chuan method my friends instructor uses more than Sanchin. But Sanchin is a part of my katas and I stick with it as it has other things to offer as well.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yes, he does test your conditioning by punching and kicking you. I don't like that either.

I started training in 1983, and I've been around the block. I've done my share of all out Sanchin kata practice. I haven't given up on it, I just don't like it. Some people love it, and that's fine. Just my personal opinion. :wink:

I'll break much more of a sweat, and my heart rate will be much higher doing any other kata. quote]

How about anyone else? I can sure get my heart rate up and sweat buckets doing Sanchin. Its just so hard to keep every muscle tensed and in the correct position while doing the moves correctly and breathing! I always feel drained, yet cleansed after Sanshin/Tensho practice. BTW - does anyone else do Tensho kata, or is that just a Goju Ryu kata?