Goju1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanchin is part of the 4th kyu syllabus for us and Ibuki as a breathing exercise, is part of the 7th Kyu syllabus. Edited by Gino

Never give in

I am a Uechi-Ryu practicioner and Sho-dan (1st degree black belt). Sanchin is our first kata, and the new student usually starts to learn the basic Sanchin stance, armthrusts, and wauki blocks in the first week of training. We consider Sanchin the root of our style and all of our other kata are derived from it.

There is an old story that a O'Sensei in Okinawa was dying and wanted to pass on the leadership of his school. He had all his students do Sanchin, and in the end promoted a white belt as his successor. This tradition is seen in Uechi today, as our blackbelt tests are based on Sanchin. It is worth 60% of the test. Part of that test involves the sensei "testing" his/her own student with punches and kicks to the stomach, chest, arms, lats (muscules down the side of the back from which the power of a Uechi thrust comes), and legs.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I am a Uechi-Ryu practicioner and Sho-dan (1st degree black belt). Sanchin is our first kata, and the new student usually starts to learn the basic Sanchin stance, armthrusts, and wauki blocks in the first week of training. We consider Sanchin the root of our style and all of our other kata are derived from it.

There is an old story that a O'Sensei in Okinawa was dying and wanted to pass on the leadership of his school. He had all his students do Sanchin, and in the end promoted a white belt as his successor. This tradition is seen in Uechi today, as our blackbelt tests are based on Sanchin. It is worth 60% of the test. Part of that test involves the sensei "testing" his/her own student with punches and kicks to the stomach, chest, arms, lats (muscules down the side of the back from which the power of a Uechi thrust comes), and legs.

Good story !! In our Black Belt testing we must remove our tops and perform Sanchin to allow the panel to observe proper breathing and muscle tension. Glad to hear others have Sanchin as their root kata.

In one Kyokushin school, which has a 10 kyu ranking system for the mudansha (under-blackbelt), they have the basics of ibuki-breating for 7th kyu (blue belt) and the kata Sanchin for 4th kyu (green belt) level. Edited by Kirves

I study Shito ryu and currently I pracitice 3 versions of the Sanchin kata higaonna sanchin, miyagi sanchin, and sanchin dai. I will useally start student wiht the ibuki breathing around 4th kyu and teach sanchin around 3rd kyu .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I use the Goju Ryu verson that Master Chinen teaches. I start my students out on the basic Sanchin stances and arm movements within their first month of class. The ibuki breathing also called compression breathing by Chinese Tai Chi Chuan masters is really emphasized at 5th kyu. The testing begins at 3rd kyu. Sanchin is the last test requirement for grade from 3rd kyu up. I don't really see this kata as dangerous if the testing is done in a responsible manner.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.