• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many practice Sanchin Kata?

Goju1

Following on a similar post discussing the perceived harm of Sanchin, I am wondering how many of you out there practice Sanchin Kata at your dojo, and if so at what age, or rank, are you allowed to start? Let us know your style and briefly what your Sanchin performance is like.

Thanks, Bruce

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Students start working on Sanchin at about 6th Kyu.

(typical time in training would be approx 1.5 years)

We train in Kyokushin karate.

Sanchin kata uses Ibuki breathing.

We practice Sanchin in our system at purple belt (4th kyu). The ibuki breathing is very important in this kata. At higher grades the sensei's will test the person doing sanchin by applying pressure to their arms and legs to test how strong the stance is (it should not move) and also might punch and kick the performer at the certain points during the kata. This is where the breathing is very important. I've seen on some shows where boards are broken over arms and backs during this kata. This may be the unhealthy part of this kata.

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I study Sanchin aswell. They begin teaching it when the student reaches 3rd Kyu (Brown)..and honestly, I don't see it as being unhealthy :-?

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

At higher grades the sensei's will test the person doing sanchin by applying pressure to their arms and legs to test how strong the stance is (it should not move) and also might punch and kick the performer at the certain points during the kata. This is where the breathing is very important. I've seen on some shows where boards are broken over arms and backs during this kata. This may be the unhealthy part of this kata.

Yes, the sensei will usually strike or kick to make sure the appropriate muscles are contracted, including a kick to the groin from behind to make sure you're in correct sanshin stance :o This sure helps your focus and you usually don't end up in the wrong stance more than once :lol:

In the first style I studied, Go-Ju-Ryu, Sanchin was the first kata taught. It was practiced by everyone for as long as they should happen to live. In the style I currently work in now (Okinawan Kenpo from Seikichi Odo) Sanchin is learned at the black belt level. Usually one of the last kata taught. Odo’s Sanchin is very different from the Go-Ju version. It doesn’t turn around, the dynamic tension is cumulative working harder and harder in circular motions, and the ending is very original. In the school which I work under Sanchin is not emphasized and is not practiced by those over 50.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.