wilko9999

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very different first name. I got picked on alot in school because of it, and got into alot of fights, so my Dad started me in basic judo when I was 8. I am 37 now, and still studying!

I was never tough. beaten up a few times in my youth and this really kills confidence (and have nice broken teeth!)

lying on the floor getting kicked in the face by two older men when you are 16 does wonders for self esteem :(

I carried a knife for years and was fully prepared to use it. Later I carried pepper spray

I had always loved martial films (Jackie Chan especially)

moved and found this Karate club, found the instructors friendly and genuine nice blokes as well as the students.

trained regularly, practised at home all the time.

Now I have great confidence in my strength and ability to use it. I don't need to fight anyone cos I know I could badly injure them.

During training I was hit many times and I learnt that when adrenaline flows you don't even care about being punched and kicked. I was no longer afraid. An excellent learning experience

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

I remember that day I decided to start practising Karate.

My brother had a Karate tournament. He was competeing in Kata. I was sitting on a chair, in the public with my parents, to support my brother and see how he competes. The first kata I saw was a Shito-ryu kata called: Chi No Kata. I remember how my brother did that. And I loved it. I felt how everything around me went silent. The only thing I saw was the Kata, the white gi and the white belt. And then I thought of myself. I pictured myself doing that Kata. I liked it, because I felt how something inside told me: start practising Karate, once you can do that Kata too and wear that white gi.

I turned around, my mom was sitting behind me, and said: mom, I want to practise Karate, it's so cool.

First, my dad didn't like that idea, but my mom thought it was great.

I was affected of the white gi's the karatekas were wearing. They all seemed to me somehow special and different from usual people. I wanted to be one of them. So, I went to that Dojo, no matter what my dad said, and started practising Karate. And guess what? The first kata my Sensei tought me was Chi No Kata. It was also my first kata I competed with.

And the frist time I was at a competition, I won with Chi No Kata. And a few days before that, I just got my first, new white karate gi. And the emblem. And I'm still wearing that gi, it is getting a bit old and the white colour is getting dirty, but I still wear it, because I love it so much, it was a gi I got from Sweden and I feel good in it, it is dear to me and always will be.

Kill is love

We got some flyers sent out in school. Ten of us started. It was down to four after the first grading. Then a couple years later, the other two dropped out, leaving me and my brother. We both got our black belts. Now I'm the only one who still trains.

I started because my friends started, now I train because I love MAs.

Also actually watching people do Karate well is impressive. The grace, precision and power of Katas, the flexibility, speed and power of great kicking, the concentration when sparring.

It all encouraged me to think 'if I trained I could do all that' and so I did.

700 hours of official training. Injury finished me dammit!

1st Kyu Wado Ryu

I always wanted to do martial arts, but my parents would never let me, which is VERY hypocritical, as both my dad and my brother have trained in judo (a slipped disc finished my dad from training, my brother is still training, though I can kick his butt in a fight! lol :D ).

I first started shotokan because a friend of mine had recently started karate and she showed me her first kata one day. I saw it and was hooked! So I went along with her to training and have never looked back and I'm about to take my black belt in a few weeks time (eeek!!).

I joined because of a friend and continued because of the love for karate.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

i am going to start kempo karate next week tuesday and i am very excited because well i hope my boxing skills are good enough for this kind of fighting style.

Good luck with your kempo training, I hope you enjoy it! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!