What good is board breaking really?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many karate schools.if not all,teach board breaking as one of the ways to practice focus and concentration,being able to see through the board in order to break them.

However there are many more useful ways of practicing focus and concentration.

Any moron can learn to break a board in just a few minutes though,even if they have never done martial arts before,so does board breaking really have any use to it?I don't think so.Is the practice of boarding breking not a waiste of time?I believe it is,it's more of just a matter of fun then being useful.

1/boards don't fight back

2/breaking boards doesn't build up your power

3/breaking boards doesn't make you a better fighter

4/heavy bags don't fight back either but at least you can gain focus,concentration,build power,speed,and improve on technique all at one time.

I never could understand what was the point of the practice of board breaking.

Besides having fun,all this makes board breaking in martial arts a waiste of time.Does anyone here not agree? :karate:

Yes, breaking boards is a waste of time. BTW, only certain styles of karate break boards, not all of them. I do shito ryu and i've never broken one.

Muay Thai, honestly I think breaking boards helps you to develop explosive power, which is different from raw strength. If you expect to break bones in a fight you have to know what it feels like to break something equally hard, as opposed to training your punches on the heavy bag and being surprised when you dont do much damage on the street. Breaking boards helps you to understand how to end a fight very quickly.

That is where I disagree,because it doesn't take much to break bones.Little effort is needed.Does it take martial arts and power to break someones nose? Of course not,if you know where to hit or kick,then you could easily break someones bones.

It doesn't take much to do a side kick to a person's knee caps,even though in karate they try to make it look like it would take alot of effort.You bring your knee up high enough and drop your kick in a person's knee it can automatically break with no effort at all.

Um, sorry, but the truth is that someone knee is a lot harder to break than people think. When was the last time you broke someone's knee? The knee is surrounded by a lot of muscle which makes it difficult to break. And add on the fact that the person is probably moving while ur trying to kick them, and it makes it very difficult indeed.

For all you board breaking enthusiasts, what kind of wood do you break in your class? I doubt it's Oak, Hickory, Walnut and any hardwoods right. I used to study arts that break boards and they were pretty easy to break. The teacher would also break concrete slabs that he would light of fire. The trick is that the slabs are made a certain way so that the middle is somewhat soft. Also they are kept cold, refigerated and when the fire heats them slightly they expand and are easier to break. Don't focus too much on that board breaking stuff, it's mostly show.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

we have used several things for breaking - concrete slabs, wooden boards (i don't know what type of wood), blocks of ice, big wooden doors (break with a flying kick), bricks, breeze blocks and double glazed windows (wearing mits). we didn't use any heat treatment or anything else.

whether they're easy to break or not, it doesn't matter. most of us could not have broken those things at one time, and we failed at our first few attempts, but we eventually broke them. we learnt to do something new, learnt a new way of focusing our strength, and that is all that matters. if you don't learn anything from breaking, or cannot see the point of what you're learning then don't do it. its obviously no good for you, but that doesn't mean that no one benefits from it. people say its for show because they cannot get anything more out of it for themselves.

before i started breaking, my strikes were fairly weak and i was rubbish in full contact sparring. once i'd started breaking my strikes got stronger and i became much more effective in full-contact. that's not just me, i know other people as well.

in kendo, people are surprised at how strong my strikes are. i can hit harder and faster than all the big guys because i learnt to focus my strength in karate, doing breaking.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

I don't really feel to strongly on this point even though I come from a style that prides it's self in breaking.If done properly its pretty damn good to look at.To be honest its not something we do at my dojo very often but I'm sure there are plenty of clubs from my style that do.

In my opinion its only a very small part of the whole picture.I have to admit I've enjoyed the breaking I have done though.In the organization I'm in up untill very recently it was mandatory to do Tameshiwari for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dan.You had one mandatory break using seiken and one of your choice.Also in our Knockdown tournaments you have to break a set amount of boards before you can fight in the first round if you are unsuccessful in breaking the required amount you are not alowed to fight in the Knockdown.

Never give in

Hey if it works for you, break away.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"