• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What good is board breaking really?

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5902

Here's a good thread on it. Just don't turn this into a flame war ;) Thanks guys/gals.

Thanks,I went here and I'm still not convinced that board breaking is useful.

I have read some saying that it teaches accuracy more then hitting a heavy bag,which I totally disagree with.

I can break 3 boards at most,so what if I can't break a whole stack.Even if I could break a whole stack what would I have accomplished other then being able to break all the boards?

I think board breaking is useless and stupid.Either you will break the boards or you can end up breaking your fingers or knuckles and then you end up worse off and end up getting nothing out of those boards,so what is the point of breaking the boards?

I did my share of breaking boards when I used to do Goju Ryu karate and thought it was fun but never really got anything out of it,and never understood the point behind it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's mainly just to look cool. Plus if you ever get in a fight and there's some boards or bricks nearby you could "accidentally" smash them with a chop disguised as a wild haymaker... that'll make you look a lot more powerful!

Aside from that I'd agree that board breaking has no combat application, but that's just my personal opinion.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Muay Thai, honestly I think breaking boards helps you to develop explosive power, which is different from raw strength. If you expect to break bones in a fight you have to know what it feels like to break something equally hard, as opposed to training your punches on the heavy bag and being surprised when you dont do much damage on the street. Breaking boards helps you to understand how to end a fight very quickly.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

Thanks,I went here and I'm still not convinced that board breaking is useful.

I can break 3 boards at most,so what if I can't break a whole stack.Even if I could break a whole stack what would I have accomplished other then being able to break all the boards?

I did my share of breaking boards when I used to do Goju Ryu karate and thought it was fun but never really got anything out of it,and never understood the point behind it.

O.k., you're not convinced. By the look of it, if you can break three boards, being held by two guys, in mid air, no spacers, with a spin heel kick (or straight punch, or whatever), then you already have good speed and accuracy. Therefore, you may not benefit from training in this way. However, there are pleanty that do not posess these skills yet, and will benefit from it.

Also, I don't think anyone is saying to ONLY train with breaking. It should only be used as a piece of your training, as working with a heavy bag and/or speed bag should be. Martial arts training is not a "one size fits all". You should train in the ways that help you improve, and don't train in the ways that give you, personally, no benefit.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

and all that said, mr./ms. thai fighter, lets just say that you're right and that breaking boards is useless in training. you yourself said you've broken boards and had fun with it. isn't that reason enough? to let loose, have a little fun, and do something different? i don't see why the martial arts should be all blood, sweat, and tears.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Muay Thai, honestly I think breaking boards helps you to develop explosive power, which is different from raw strength. If you expect to break bones in a fight you have to know what it feels like to break something equally hard, as opposed to training your punches on the heavy bag and being surprised when you dont do much damage on the street. Breaking boards helps you to understand how to end a fight very quickly.

No offense, but bones are a lot stronger than wooden planks or even cinder blocks, and cannot be broken efficiently using the same technique.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

It's a good way to impress people so that they sign up for classes. I think it's all smoke and mirrors. Some how it's become a tradition in certain styles. Boxers don't break boards and they have some of the most effective strikes. The problem with many MA's is that they have become nothing more than entertainment and exercise.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

It's a good way to impress people so that they sign up for classes. I think it's all smoke and mirrors. Some how it's become a tradition in certain styles. Boxers don't break boards and they have some of the most effective strikes. The problem with many MA's is that they have become nothing more than entertainment and exercise.

That is so true.

That is where I disagree,because it doesn't take much to break bones.Little effort is needed.Does it take martial arts and power to break someones nose? Of course not,if you know where to hit or kick,then you could easily break someones bones.

It doesn't take much to do a side kick to a person's knee caps,even though in karate they try to make it look like it would take alot of effort.You bring your knee up high enough and drop your kick in a person's knee it can automatically break with no effort at all.