• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hapkido question

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hapkido is a traditional style, and Combat Hapkido is a modernized version...with no forms, it is very self defense oriented...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

It is phenomenal for self-defense...but again it is not a complete 'art'...

It is modernized from traditional hapkido to remove the unuseful parts and find what works...

It relys on joint locks and manipulations for self defense purposes only, but the spectrum is broad with that it teaches...from ground techniques to standup to trapping to striking...

But again, Not Complete...there is no WORKOUT WORKOUT...it does not get you in shape is what I am trying to say...so it needs something to complement it...such as a more cardio workout...I teach it with TKD and I mold it into a JKD Concepts class that I teach...

But for self defense purposes, this is one of the best that I have found.

Of course, my opinion only.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• 3 months later...
I would think the "mental aspects", as well as ki exercises, help a practitioner develop concentration and focus. Not all styles of traditional hapkido have forms, but some do. Some styles of traditional hapkido also tend to include certain weapons, such as the belt, sticks of various sizes, cane, and kumdo sword. And yes, while your mileage may vary depending on the school, traditional hapkido almost always gives a good workout - especially if the school emphasizes repetition of the basic kicks and hand strikes, uses focus pads, and does a lot of rolling and breakfalling, which most schools seem to do.

It is modernized from traditional hapkido to remove the unuseful parts and find what works...

I would agree that it is a good self defense system, but unfortunately the above statement is only marketing. Combat Hapkido does not contain the off-balancing that traditional forms of Hapkido has. For example, have a person grab you strong and see if you can do the technique without using a fake or a distraction. This is one of the main concepts that makes Hapkido, Hapkido. This is also why it is great for a smaller person because they don't have to "muscle" a technique on a larger, stronger person.

The down side is that it takes time to be able to use off-balancing effectively. This is only one of the two major reasons why you do not see this concept taught in Combat Hapkido.

Take care :)

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu