Zen and the Martial Arts

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has a slightly different idea of what enlightenment is, but basically its "knowledge", "insight" and "true understanding" on a philosophical and spiritial level. Being able to see all things clearly within the scheme of totality. Being one with the universe kinda of stuff.

this was an answer on a question i feel needs a bit more elaboration.

when you are in a true Zen state, it does not mean that you have this great knowledge which you helps you understand all things. you understand all concepts of life because you understand what it is to be human.

it is simply that you have no wants. you are partial to nothing so making a desicion is simple for you, because nothing clouds your judgment. people think that once you have reached zen than you become blissfully happy. but i dont think it is really. in my studies it is more about knowing yourself 100% completely with no doubts about who you are what your abilities as a person are. i really dont see how someone in the west could reach zen, because most of the people who do not get attached to things and stay impartial have attachment issues and are inherently partial. or you are clingy and are partial anyways society really doesnt allow for most of the true concepts to filter through.

just my opinion, feel free to fight it.

emember, not closer to God, closer to your Self or rather Life.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

In college, having a Professor of Buddhism, which later became a student of mine in martial arts, gave me much insight to Bodhisattva subjects. From my many notes, it can be basically, but not completely understood, by Occidentals. The subject of meditation gets deep, to very descriptive levels. From many Bodhisattva Mandalas, teachings or practices, meditation, is but one. There are mandalas for Medical/Healing, Elements, Human Characteristics, Movement, Experience, and Symbolism. The later being the most acceptable, but inadequate, term/definition per a art form. (To which some English dictionaries mis-define)

Almost as detachment to things, but mindful and aware. Buddhism had bhavana ("culture" or development") into two general kinds of meditation, smatha, (samaadhi, or cittekaggata), meaning mental concentration, and vipassana, (vipasyana, or vidarsana) meaning insight from which spawned the Chinese version Ch'en. From which the Japanase pronounce as Zen.

All of which will give one insight to why Ch'en Temples, such as Shaolin, its practitioners accepted the "meaning" of physcial conflict, i.e. fighting. Thus with Zen, accepted by the Samurai. The only difference between the Chinese and Japanese version, was addition of bushido.

In all, it can be considered as mindfulness or awareness with regard to one's activities, to live in the present moment, to live in the present action. It can be considered to be one that hasn't to perform any particular action in order to develop mindfulness. But one has to be mindful and aware whatever they do. One has to only cultivate mindfulness and awareness.

:) nice post :)

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

Cha'n Buddhism came about in China when Buddhists added taoist philosophy into their belief system, and found that it not only fit, but that it actually helped to directly transmit (without words through direct experience, since not there are things that cannot be explained by words, but must be experienced to understand) enlightenment.

The Japanese later called it Zen when it was imported from china.

The Bushi of Japan found that Zen helped them in numerous ways. Losing fear of death, not being distracted by the enemy (zanshin), being able to "know" what an opponent will do before even he knows (mushin), and many other abilities that enhanced their survival on the battlefield.

The Tao that can be spoken is not the true Tao.

OSU!

i consider zen a very good path to follow for a martial artest. being a theravada buddist i get along with nearly all zen teachings, zen meditation is espesially useful in the hour or so before a match.

Fist visible Strike invisible