• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have a question...

I am in a situation where there is no schools to train in where I live, the closest one a few towns away, which is too far for me to attend regularly. I was recently reading an issue of Blackbelt magazine and an interesting article came up. It was talking about the advantages and disadvantages of learning through videos. I know that most traditional martial artists would immeaditily think bad idea. However, they decided to test this theory, and it came out that 3 people who had not MA background could perform techniques taught by video just as well as they could by an instructor. Now my question is, would it be a good idea for me to learn by video? I mean there is the disadvantage of not having a physical being to correct me at home (with exception to a few friends of mine who have lots of experience with MA) but then there is the advantage that I can learn what I want to learn, and not be limited by what is closest. What is your opinions on this?

"Do or do not, there is no try"- Yoda

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well it depends on how close the ones nearest you are. If I were you I'd drive probably 20-30 Minutes to get to training than be trained by a video. However If you dont like driving that much and you want to learn then the obvious choice is to get videos.

If you have those friends around, who have been in Martial Arts for a while, it is better then nothing.

Like Kumite988 said, be willing to drive 30 minutes! That is what I had to do for my Karate, for like a year or 2 before I found a good school in town. Check your local college, some of them have classes, that will atleast give you a foundation. Call some gym's in town, some of them may offer Kick Boxing for Boxing. The Cops and Firestations sometimes offer boxing and other martial arts, or self defence classes., give them a call and check.

Its not that I'm not willing to drive, it is my parents would be hasseled for it, as the class times offered there would interfere in not only their schedule, but mine as well. I don't know how I could get rides up there all the time without really screwing something up. I don't know what else to do at this point in time.

I suppose that videos are better than nothing at all. I've learned some interesting techniques from videos, so I know they can be useful as supplemental training. However, I don't have any experience in basing my training solely off of videos. I would tend to think it would be more expensive than training, but I don't know.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

if your friends are that experienced, couldn't you just ask them to give you the foundation instead of spending all the money on videos? those are very expensive...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Its better than nothing just dont watch a tape and call yourself a black belt.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Yeah, lol, if I called myself a black belt after watching a tape if I was to combat either of my friends or any other higher belt ranking I'd most likely end up on the floor, face down.

It would be better to continue looking for a school because while you may learn the techniques, you may continue practicing them improperly, there is no substitute for an instructor fine tuning your techniques in class.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.