• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different styles of hand striking?

How many distinctly different styles of striking with the hands are there?

For example:

Style 1: Karate, TKD, Tang Soo Do

Style 2: Boxing, Kickboxing, Savate

Style 3: JKD, Lau Gar, Wing Chun

etc???

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know you mentioned the Kung Fu Styles in style 3, but also more of the animal styles of Kung Fu, Eagle claw, snake, Tiger Claw, Longfist.

So recognize or be hospitalized

Cuz literally on a scale from one to ten I'm 25.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be the cause of discord, but there's only one type of hand strike: Taking your hand and striking your oponent.

I think as martial artists we get caught up too much on the style the punch originates from, but such a mentality can hinder us more than help us. It is better for us to realize that regardless of the opponent and his/her "style" it will still be a hand attached to an arm attached to a body. It can go by a hundred different names or look a hundred different ways, but it is still a hand and an arm.

Doing this, just thinking about the strike as a strike and not what style the strike comes from, allows you to free your mind for countering. You don't see the strike as X-strike from karate, or Z-chop from hapkido, you see it as a strike from Mr.Opponent. You will more purely be able to deal with the strike.

I hope I shed some light on an often obscure concept.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I dont think karate and kickboxing are to much different. Of coarse in basic training its completely different. but in application the techniques are much the same.

This statement is beyond ludicrous. Real karate is NOTHING like kick boxing. Oh boy, karate is in a sad state. Kickboxing is sport and true karate is real life. One is nutrasweet the other pure sugar; swizz-eet! Karate is for self-preservation only and then if used, maiming and killing. Incapacitating in under 1 round's time.

Ahhhhhhhhh! Go to the bottom of this reply and get this...............

A FRIGGIN' CLUE!!! :-? :-?

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

Hohan-1,

i think you misunderstood what i said. "...but in application the techniques are much the same."

Real karate is NOTHING like kick boxing.

Im talking purely about techniques, are you trying to tell me that in karate you don't punch the same has in kickboxing? and you dont do roundhouse kicks and front kicks? :D

Ofcoarse you learn to punch differently but when its applied, it is exactly the same.

Karate is for self-preservation only and then if used, maiming and killing.

I also realize that the emphasis is on different things in these styles of training. But i wasnt talking about the emphasis, i was talking about techniques only.

Maybe i didnt make that clear enough for some people :-? :D :D

...some people read the words but don't bother to think about what they mean...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."