• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD or Hapkido or Both?

We just teach Jung Ki Hapkido. As I progress a little further I may introduce Kuhapdo into the school, but as of now, just Hapkido. :)

Take care

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that HKD and TKD go very well together. if you can find a place that is ITF afflicted, you might be lucky enough to find a dojang that treats the two as one art.

i'm WTF TKD, but i know its not heling self defense - and i wish it was easy to get to an ITF dojang. bah... some people have it so easy with their training... *points fingers at sens childishly* :P

first of all...I go to the same club as Rockuman and he wasn't even in it for 3 months...I've been in it for a year and it is alot more then just grappling...in Hapkido you learn how to get thrown or fall without gettin hurt seriously and it is an excelent art of discipline and pain tollerence and all sorts of stuff...plus,this Monday we're having a knife defence siminar

which will be awesome....

I think TKD and Hapkido are an awesome combination of defence...self discipline, fighting techniques, and alot more...

Our school is set up as a TKD school but offers a complete HKD program. I'm very fortunate to have enough time to train 5 days a week in both arts. They are such great complements to each other. My HKD really helps during TKD Ho-Sin Sul and sparring.

World Musado Federation

Bong Soo Han IHF

• 1 month later...

Not to try and get anyone to change what they've already started, but if someone is considering beginning martial arts training, the decision of take TKD and/or Hapkido is a moot point with Kuk Sool Won.

I don't claim to be an expert in TKD or Hapkido, but it sounds like Hapkido teaches joint locks, throws, falling, and control techniques, while TKD is the punching and kicking aspect.

Each of those, plus weapons training, is the standard curriculum in Kuk Sool. :karate:

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this topic. I was asked earlier what kyuk too ki and Haidong Gumdo are?

Kyuk Too Ki:

Translates into either Korean kick boxing or Korean Street Fighting.

Recognized as probably Korea's most brutaliest arts. Kyuk To Ki combines elements of TKD, HKD, and Yudo in its fighting curriculum. There are two types taught together

1. Competition

rules are 10 rounds 3 minutes each. you score points from throws, punches, kicks, and take downs. You can perform chokes, locks (arm, wrist. leg. neck, etc.), You cannot attack the groin, eyes, spine, or bite. You can either win by points, KO, TKO, disqualifications. (majority of matches end in KO or TKO)

2. Street Applications

This is porbably where it coins the term "brutal" because of its applications of street scenarios. Alot of the techniques are desinged to physically impair the attacker.

Haidong Gumdo is the Traditonal Korean sword art. Derived form the group samurang which were the basic foundations for Japanese Samurai. Alot of its traditons were lost unit recently and now Haidong gumdo is making a triumphant comeback. Especially here in the U.S. There are two federations which I do not have time to discuss the conflict between them. There are the International Haedong gumdo Federation and World Haidong Gumdo Federation. If anyone will like links, eamil me and i can give you theem there websites. Haidong Gumdo was the original sword art in Korea that encompasses many forms that demonstrate battlefield tactics. Some of which fighting as amny as 4-6 attackers with swords. Late ron in the style there are double sword forms where you use 2 swords to fight. There is sparring but not like Kumdo/kendo, ther eis not armor jsut a protective vest. You uses alot of techniques taught form class and the forms. Aside form learning forms you actaully learn sword methods of how to entrap their sword or block and cut that are similiar to a curriculum found in hapkido where you have many different scenarios to defend from. You begin training with a wooden sword (mokgum), and then movie onto an imitation steel sword (kagum), then once you have demonstrated you have full control of the sword and cutting you are given a sharp steel (jingum) where you practice cutting bamboo and hay. These cutting target are desgined to the equivalencies of human body parts (waist, arm, leg, neck). Another important part of Haidong Gumdo training is the ki where you use various methods of ki training like Dan Jun Ho Hup or Gae Un Ki Gong.

This is about the basics if anyone wants to discuss them further or have any questions post a reply or feel free to IM me or email me.

For those in MD I also host an instructor's training gathering, where instructors of korean martial arts can get together and train with each other, share ideas, expose others to new arts.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

thanks for the answers :)

Korean Street Fighting caught my interest. the street application version i mean. how can these brutal techniques been practiced? in Kung Fu San Soo, the most brutal art i know, u practice very catious and seldom with full power/speed. its hard to tell whether these are appropriate methods... could tell me/us more about Kyuk Too Ki please?

One of the reasons it is so brutal is because it shows no mercy to you attacker. The purpose of the techniques are to physically cripple your ooponent without any chance of the attacking twice. I did nto say it is the most brutaliest because I am sure there are other but as far as Korean styles go it is considered the brutaliest. Kyuk Too Ki is considered both a hard & soft style martial art which is probably one of its most dynamic aspect. It emphasizes bone and joint breaking even after throw your opponent. Alot of elbow, knee and head butt attacks. I have seen some classes of a friend of mine when I went to Korea and they really beat the crap out of each practicing the techniques. Its almost like the Teuk Gong Mu Sool (Korean Military martial arts) philosophy "Train as if at war, and war will be like training"

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)