• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushinkai is one you forgot.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

:o Apparently some Japanese-Canadian is at 9th Dan and founded a style called "Tsuruoka" Karate-do, about fourty years ago.

Masami Tsuruoka was born in 1929 in Cumberland, British Columbia. At the end of the war, he moved with his family to Kumamoto, Japan. During a trip to Tokyo he chanced to see a karate demonstration; he was so impressed that he resolved to learn this art, and upon his return to Kumamoto began to study Chito-ryu karate with Dr. Chitose.

Shuri Ryu

Black Belt (Or, Sash i should say) - 2nd Degree - Wu Shu & Wing Chun Kung Fu

Black Belt - 1st degree - Shuri Ryu Karate

Black Belt - 1st degree - Okinawan Kobudo

Black Belt - 1st degree - Tomikki Aikido

Black Belt - 2nd degree - Jujitsu

Tai Chi Chuan Practicioner

Muay Thai Practicioner

Shijitsukan, head instructor Dean Stevens 9th dan in Ryukyu Hon Kenpo Kobujutsu Federation (Okinawan Kenpo)

Dean was awarded the Shijitsukan style from Daisensei Seikichi Odo.

The style contains mostly Odo's kata along with a sprinkling of Go-Ju-Ryu and Ishin-Ryu and a heck of a lot of Kobudo.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Seido (the style I started in: an offshoot of Kyokushinkai) - headquarters website http://www.seido.com

Seidokan (no relation to Seido - and I'm afraid despite training in it for over a year I know little about it)

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

KEMPO is an OKINAWIAN art with heavy CHINESE influences.

KENPO is the american hybrid Ed Parker learned in HAWAII

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

KEMPO is an OKINAWIAN art with heavy CHINESE influences.

KENPO is the american hybrid Ed Parker learned in HAWAII

Not exactly. Many Okinawan Kenpo stylists use the "Kenpo" spelling others use the "Kempo" spelling. The Kanji is the same. It means "Fist law" and is indifferent to how us Americans would like to spell it.

Okinawan Kenpo comes from Shigero Nakamura who's major infuence was Shinkichi Kunioshi who was the successor of Naha "Bushi" Sakiyama who had studied in China. So the art is about 4 or 5 generations removed from China. I would say it's about as Okinawan as anything your going to find on the island. I wouldn't say it has a heaver Chinese influence then any other art on the island. What I would say is that it has both Naha-te and Shuri-te influences, is largely an "outside" fighting style, and it has a rich Kobudo tradition.

The term Kenpo or Kempo can be used to describe any number of styles from Okinawa to China to perhaps the most famous Ed Parker's American Kenpo which is indeed an interesting mix.

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.