• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just starting in MA.

mouko_yamamoto

I just signed up at a karate dojo near where I live. I pay $60 a month, for 2-3 classes a week, each 1 1/2 hours long. Is that a good/bad deal?

Also, I've seen this in other MA forums, but how long does it take to get a black belt in karate?

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Not bad just depends on where you are located.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

If you mean how far, it is only about a 10 minute drive.

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

I think he means what part of the country you and the studio are in.

If the studio is in a retail space, it will be more expensive. If it is at a university club, it will likely be more cheap. Nationwide differences factor into this as well.

That said, most places in my area charge about 50-80 a month.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Should I put on my ¿Gi? (uniform) before I show up to class? And should I wait to tie the belt till I get there?

Oh, and thanks all for answering my earlier questions.

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

KENJUTSU

Should I put on my ¿Gi? (uniform) before I show up to class? And should I wait to tie the belt till I get there?

Wait and see what other class members do. Some clubs don't like pupils wearing their 'gis' to and from class, some don't mind. If you're club is one that doesn't mind, then do whatever you feel comfortable with, although I wouldn't advise you to wear your 'gi' and belt to class if you're walking to class, or getting public transport.

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Your deal sounds fair. As far as the gi goes, I wear my pants and a t-shirt and put my gi top and belt on at the studio. If you are not sure, call the instructor and just ask him "what is dojo etiquette regarding uniforms and belts". He/she should gladly answer your question.

As far as the black belt goes...that depends on you. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Yeah, for a good school, that is a good deal. Not the greatest rpice, but good. Don't go over $60. As for the Belt, normally 3 years is a good range. WOrk REALLY hard, you can get it in 1 or 1 1/2, slack off, it could take as long as 5. It really depends on you and your school.

I'm glad I found this website. I just started MA, but have been here on this forum for 2 months. The people here are really friendly. Thank you all for answering my questions. I'm a newbie to MA, and kinda nervous, and everyone helping me out is great.

Once again, thanks for helping. :D :)

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

KENJUTSU