• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

taking multiple styles

was looking through some of you guys' profiles and saw that a lot of you take more than one style.

was just wondering are you actively training in both? if so, do they interfere with each other in any way?

also, what was your sifu/sensei/guru's reaction when you told them you were going to take another class?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have a black belt in a differant style I never stopped my Shotokan training and I will always be shotokan first and formost.

I was already a black belt in shotokan when I went to college. Their was not shotokan clubs so I got involved with a guy who did a variety of MA's. He called it American TAO karate but the focus was on Hipakido, TKD, and some Chin Na Kung Fu. It was a nice exp for sure. I learned a lot and it made my Shotokan much stronger. I honestly don't know that I could do all the kata in ATK now because I have been out of school for 4 years. this fall. See I never planned on ATK being my main art and both teachers knew that.

My Shotokan Sensei was please I was still training and my ATK Sensei understood. Both were cool with it and both are very close friends stil yet. Just be up front with people and don't sneak behind their back and you should not have any problems.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Yes, my feelings about the styles I do is similar to G95champ's. Kyokushin will always and forever be my main art, but I'm training in Chito-ryu now b/c there aren't any dojos to go to. A lot of the techniques are the same so it helps my Kyokushin really since in Chito-ryu they focus on different things that I was weaker in from my other style. :karate:

Oh, and to answer your last question. My Sensei was happy that I was learning new things in karate and had a good place to train at.

Osu!

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

Not me. I did just karate for about 2 years. I just started taking Juijitsu/Judo, a few months after I stopped Karate, due to distant. Most Sensei's give you different advice, each one aplying to the Art you are working on. To take 2 at once may be a little overwhelming. For Example, last night, I had my sleaves rolled up and the Assistant Sensei in JuiJitsu saw I extend my arm all the way when we praticed punches, which would make is easier for a JuiJitsu guy to make a joint lock, but in Karate, we extend our arms all the way. I strongly believe you need to take sevreal styles, because all the Masters and Arts have something to be learned, but taking more then one at one time might keep you from focusing on that art to your fullest.

I usually say that when you just start in MA, to take just ONE style.

When you have a reached a good level in that particular style, then you can start to explore in other styles and systems.

Some styles blends better than others. Its a matter a personal investigation to see which ones works better for you.

Well in my case my Aikido sensei is also my Judo and Jodo sensei.

Kendo is like starwars and everyone gets to be Darth Vader.

"Luke, I am your sensei"

I believe that beginning the martial arts is the most important step...because as far as I am concerned and I know that other people will agree...

There is not a style on the planet that hasnt borrowed from another style. And there is not a martial artists on the planet that teaches his ART or STYLE in the exact manner than it was meant...for the simple reason that no one knows what is was meant for...

All of the arts that we do and research are all intertwined...

So taking more than one style is not the question...

The question is what STYLEs do you wish to take.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

>a lot of you take more than one style.

Sure. Personally I think it is best this way. Too many people assume that the first style they try is the greatest in the whole world.

>was just wondering are you actively training in both?

Personally, yes...I've done as many as three styles concurrently, but I wouldn't recommend doing that from day one. I'd say to stick with one style for a year or two or three, and then branch out. Once you've had a few years in multiple styles, you should find that you can try just about anything and keep it all straight in your head. The difference between one and two styles is pretty big. The difference between two and three isn't much. After that, you'll find yourself not asking 'how do you do that?' but rather, 'which way do you guys do that? This way, this way, or this way?'

Another thing to consider...just because the two styles you pick are totally different, doesn't mean you shouldn't do them together. In some ways, this is much easier than two styles which are very similar. I've taken three years of Shotokan, and maybe a year of Shito-Ryu. The forms are very similar, but have a bazillion tiny little differences. It's a lot harder to keep track of subtle differences than major ones.

Personally I think the ultimate goal is to devise your 'own' style by taking the pieces of each that work best for you.

>if so, do they interfere with each other in any way?

Yes...but if you pay close enough attention you can minimize this. Personally, the problem I most run into is not confusing methods...but rather than after having seen several methods it's not uncommon for me to have a very strong preference for one over another, and it can be frustrating to practice a particular method which I think doesn't work as well as a different method...simply because it is the method favored by the class I'm taking. (Hope that made sense.) Let's put it this way: If you've learned six different ways of doing a front kick, and you've spent a few years each on a couple of them...odds are good that you 'understand' the logic being each way of kicking, but prefer one or two of them. It's frustrating to take a class which only accepts as valid the kicking methods you don't like, but the class may offer other things you DO like, so you just put up with it.

The other frustrating thing that comes up...since most martial artists generally only take one style, often you'll run into students who will insist that their method is the 'best' 'fastest' 'most powerful' 'etc' way of doing some particular technique, when it very obviously isn't. For instance, not too terribly long ago I was seen doing a front thrust kick in a karate class. A higher ranking student (with about five years less experience than me) came over and explained that by snapping the kick, I would generate more power than by locking it and thrusting the hips. Now, obviously this isn't true. If he had said that a snap kick is faster or that it's harder for an oponent to catch, sure I'd have agreed. He then continued on to explain that I was doing the kick incorrectly, to which I responded that I wsan't doing a front snap kick, I was doing a front thrust kick...to which he replied that there was 'no such thing as a front thrust kick, it is called a front snap kick.' So I smiled and thanked him and went on with my life.

>what was your sifu/sensei/guru's reaction when you told

>them you were going to take another class?

It varies. On one extreme I've been encouraged to do it, and told that it's great to cross train. (Kickboxing) On the opposite extreme, I've been given dirty looks and asked to be uke a lot. (Aikido) My personal favorite reaction was in mentioning that I was taking Wushu to one Shito-Ryu instructor. 'I see... Umm...I understand, but maybe it would be best if you DIDN'T tell O-Sensei...'

Bucket Man

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club

The schools I attend/ed were all mixed. My TSD school taught a little of Muay Thai kickboxing, and Hapkido on top of TSD. My boyfriends school mixes TKD and Kung Fu. My school now mixes a little of Judo, Kali, and something else (don't remember). My instructors still actively train in other styles, so they mix stuff into their teaching style. It keeps things interesting :)

When I did TSD, I also took jujitsu for three months (then I moved). I thought the two went well together. I would have done both for a very long time if I didn't move away. When I was still in my boyfriends school, I took Judo for a while (still I started my new dojang). I think they also went well together.

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

(another typo correction)

i've said this elsewhere but i was looking for a grappling art just because it is almost the exact opposiye of what i do now.

can anyone give me a little bit of info about what you do?

Edited by Drunken Monkey

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."