• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshin Ryu

MMouse

Does anyone here study isshinryu karate? If so could you share somethings about it. 1) How effective do you feel it is for self defense? 2) Are there any sweeps or throws and if so, are they dependent on the school or are they an integral part of the style? 3) Do you spar full contact?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1) For Self Defense, it is a great art. That is the main purpose it is, it is a combat school. We learn specific kicks and moves for the groin and eyeballs, and other such things, yes there is a kick titled the “Groin Kick”

2) We try to do Throws and light grappling ,but ever Since taking JuiJitsu, I found out how LIGHT that is. I tired one of the grapples, which in Issinryu was meant to cause your foe to lose his grip on your shirt, and couldn’t do it, the Guy grabs me “Do you mean this?” and lands me flat on my back. We have a little grappling, but if Throw and grapples are what you want, Karate isn’t your style.

3) All I’m going to say is, we wear cups, you do the math…

If you have any question about Isshin ryu log onto the site below and email Shihan Albert Mady. He's been training for many years and has trained many sabbki, kyokushin, kickboxing and a K1 champ.

http://www.madyskarate.com/

Definately go to Shihan Mady's site. It's really well done. I've never trained Isshin-ryu, but their are quite a few Isshin-ryu stylists who place in the Kyokushin Knockdown tournaments. So I'd have to say they put out some really tough fighters :nod:

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

I am just a mere white belt, but Sensei already has me teaching the newer white belts the charts, and takioka kata's. issen-ryu is a very semple style, prettymuch ment for gettting the job at hand done, though helping with newbies gets me behind, the sensei at the dojo I go to is very understanding, and lets me get extra time in. I like Issen-ryu because it is fairly easy to understand and is ((most of the time)) effective, unless you are like me and have double jointed wrists, lol. But I think issen-ryu is a good style for people that want to learn karate for self defence, but if you are looking for a 'pretty' style, this is not it, thisone isn't like your 'dance-like' karte styles, but meerly a means of protection.

if the fist goes forth with hold the anger, if the anger goes forth, with hold the fist.

But I think issen-ryu is a good style for people that want to learn karate for self defence, but if you are looking for a 'pretty' style, this is not it, thisone isn't like your 'dance-like' karte styles, but meerly a means of protection.

No joke. This is a combat style all the way!

• 3 weeks later...

Isshinryu translated- "The one-heart way," or really, "The Whole-Hearted Method." I have studied Ishhinryu for 13 years now. I have studied with Master A. J. Advincula. For those of you who don't know who this man is, he is the one who actually created the only Tatsuo Shimabuki approved Megami (NOT MIZUGAMI!!!!!!!) patch in 1961 that we all wear over our hearts on our gi's. Many people actually wear the wrong patch. The correct one is fist-shaped with a gold border and no kanji. The oblong orange border patch was created by Angi Uezu, and was never approved! I have studied the history, and the philosophy; along with the techniques. It is a very safe style due to the muscle to muscle (instead of the bone to bone) blocks. We use a unique fist that is Master Shimabuku's creation, with a non-twisting straight punch. A very dangerous man is one who has learned this art.

For information on Isshinryu, the absolute BEST site that I've seen (and I've seen A LOT!) is https://www.isshin1.com. This is Master Advincula's site.

I welcome any and all questions about Isshinryu. It is my passion. My e-mail is k.seijas@att.net. ANYONE interested in coversing about this wonderful style, please feel welcome to contact me!

Kanpai!

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.