• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's your street experience?

What's your street experience?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's your street experience?

• Never fought outside the dojo/ring.
    • One or more minor skirmishes, that weren't life-and-death -serious.
    • At least one event that scared the **** out of me.
    • I fight regularly because I'm a jerk and/or live in a really bad neighborhood.
    • I fight often because of my job (police, bouncer, guard, ...).

heres an example of one,

He swung a haymaker at me I did a high left block stepping inside with my right leg, grab his hair with my right hand and pulled him down into a left knee to his face, he fell down with a bloody nose and bloody mouth.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think that the people getting into fights are doing so because they lack inteligence.

Could you explain what you mean by that?I think I may of missed your piont.

I'm only asking because as martial artists it is a very important question.

I have a book I've read "Un-masking The Martial Artist which asks the same question you've asked and also asks what kind of person gets involved in the martial arts in the first place and why.

A great book, even though some of it made me slightly uncomfortable.

Never give in

Why do people get in fights?

Would it be fair to suggest that its because of a lack of humility? (or lack of intelligence?)

Often in a fight there is at least one unwilling participant. Other times there is a severe conflict of interest, not related to humility. Suppose your country was invaded, and enemy soldiers were going to execute your family? If you fought them I'd hardly place that as a lack of humility or intelligence. Likewise if, for instance, someone or something of great importance to you was stolen/kidnapped by someone. Would resistance in that case be due to hubris or dim wits?

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

I have never been in a fight on the street, have always backed away. Jail and a broken nose are more painful then the stares of people I don't know. Haven't been approached since I have been in TKD, but have been in a few fights, none scaringly serious, while growing up.

One or more minor skirmishes, that weren't life-and-death-serious.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

At least one event that scared the **** out of me!

Yea, some drunk moron tried to rape me, but I went into morph-mode and kicked his butt LOL. It's still scared the crap outta me! When I think about it now, it was pretty funny, because I only had 8 months of martial arts training at the time ;)

Laurie F