• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's your street experience?

What's your street experience?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's your street experience?

• Never fought outside the dojo/ring.
    • One or more minor skirmishes, that weren't life-and-death -serious.
    • At least one event that scared the **** out of me.
    • I fight regularly because I'm a jerk and/or live in a really bad neighborhood.
    • I fight often because of my job (police, bouncer, guard, ...).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've been attacked several times, but not because I was a jerk or because the neighborhood is bad--it's actually good.

I didn't vote because none of the responses applied to me.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

well, you could say i start some of them. I blame it on my Irish heritage, hot heads, and i have short man syndrome =( I act tough because I am short, and don't back down

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

I get into a bunch of little skirmishes. Where I live, if they rednecks here you are in any kind of martial art, they line up to test there skills. lol

I had numerous fights as a teenager growing up in Manhattan and in The Bronx (probably 20 ~ 25 during that time). Most were very quick (a barage of punches to a takedown, technical knockout or a choke). This was 30 years ago before I had any formal martial arts training. Acknowledging a threat early on, getting the first punch in and sustaining a barage of punches is almost unbeatable. At 5'6" and 140 lbs most of my fights were with guys bigger than me and being small you don't have a lot to give away.

The biggest mistake most people make is letting a potential attacker close the distance (getting within striking distance where the attacker doesn't have to step/commit to striking). You have to have very fast reflexes to move or block an attack from this distance. For most it is essential that you maintain a distance from the attacker that allows you time to react to a punch or kick.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

I used to get in a lot of fights when working as a bouncer, but I haven't been in a fight since then, nor did I get in any fights outside work.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

P.S. Reacting is one thing, reacting properly is another. Stepping straight back or leaning backwards or to one side or another are reactions that can put you at a disadvantage. Blocking, angling, moving your base while maintaining your balance are key ingrediates in effectively counter an attack.

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin

I had a group of people try to mug me and two friends once.. unfortunately they were a fairly organized group, 6 people surrounded me with another group of 6 a short distance away so as not to draw a lot of attention. One of my friends made enough of a distraction for me to get away, then he took off himself. The third guy ran with me when I escaped the circle.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!