• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Official Shotokan Topic

Bl4cKtH0rN

I get the idea of the *mArTiAl_GiRl* that is great. Here we will discuss on any subject of Shotokan.

"Someday, I'll be the most powerfull jedi ever..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nope.

Funakoshi outlined the 12 kata he wanted taught above all in Karate Do Kyhon. Add to that the 26/29 that he listed early on as the base of Shotokan. I have trained for just over 10 years and I only know 20 of these kata. Out of those 20 I would say I only feel I KNOW a dozen or so. If you practice kata the way it is ment to be used then it will take you a life time to learn the ones he chose to include much less going outside and finding others.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Nope.

Funakoshi outlined the 12 kata he wanted taught above all in Karate Do Kyhon. Add to that the 26/29 that he listed early on as the base of Shotokan. I have trained for just over 10 years and I only know 20 of these kata. Out of those 20 I would say I only feel I KNOW a dozen or so. If you practice kata the way it is ment to be used then it will take you a life time to learn the ones he chose to include much less going outside and finding others.

At our club we include the kata Funkoshi listed but in the Okinawan form. (all except 5 heians, bassi dai, hangetsu and the tekki's) Because we are closer to Shorin ryu clubs we are affected by them...we have no shotokan around in our neck of the woods. Instead of Empi (which we know) we teach Wanshu. It makes more sense for us to do this for we have access to Shorin teachers and can better understand the kata being taught with bunkai, breathing, stance, etc.

Understood

To each his own. My Sensei moved away about 4 years ago and I have had to train myself it is very hard. So I understand what you are talking about when you say you use Shorin versions because you have access. Most of the kata are very simular anyhow. So it should not be a big deal.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

We used to well we had the option to when I trained.

2 big reasons.

1. We had red carpet and our white gi's turend pink. LOL

2. We did a lot of outdoor training and again white was just hard to keep clean.

At my dojo we are trying out the black gi's right now for the same reason you pointed out. Too hard to keep'em clean. We do alot of throwing and joint locks so sweatly hand prints are left ont he gi's.

>I've only seen one other shotokan club wear a black gi, has

>anyone else seen a shotokan club in black?

No...but many years ago I remember having a 'guest' instructor come in to our Shotokan class from Japan. He wore an all black gi. The way I rememeber it being explained to me was basically that it was his way of announcing to the world that he thought he was great and that if anyone thought they were better, they were welcome to find out. Nobody took him up on the offer.

Bucket Man

----------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club