Ryu

Do you like Kamas?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Kamas?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
    • What are Kamas?

I am buying a set of Kamas, well, I am trying to save the money up to buy a pair. I was wondering who else has Kamas, and who enjoys them? I am buying three pairs, a wooden pair, a demo pair, and a Mike Chat Kamas by Macho pair. This Poll will be up for two weeks.

Ryan "Ryu" Somers

Blue Belt - ITF Tae Kwon Do

2 Years - Basic Hapkido

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kama's are good, many come razor sharp though so be careful. Do not practice with the sharp ones unless you have a qualified instructor showing you the tricks of the trade. A week and a half ago a guy who occasionally works out with us was practicing on his own with a new set. He goes to do an overhead strike with the back side of the sai and slashes his back near his shoulder blade. 16 stitches later he has decided not to practice with them alone anymore. They are dangerous, to yourself. Learn rules and tricks of using them and they are great!

-Paul Holsinger

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

The kamas are one of my favorite weapons. One reson is the traditional side ot kamas and second because of their effectiveness. I was told by my master form Korea who's father used kamas for 70 years as a farmer and I saw a video of his father and his techniques were the best i have ever seen jsut form using them all the time. They were the greatest self defense weapon against swordsman and such. In the hands of a skilled practioner they could defend against about any weapon.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

I have actually seen the kama defend against a nine section whip , the masters were free sparring one time with weapons and the whip was spinning and th emaster caught it between the blades of the kamas.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

Kama/kusarigama are my favorite weapon! I've found them to be pretty intuitive and natural feeling. I feel like I could do some pretty hefty damage with a real, sharp pair :brow:

But boy do they hurt when you drop them on your toes :(

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.