• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Okinawan moves

isshinjake

Stepping past a punch on the outside with a brush block. While their ribs are still exposed, roundhouse punch to the rib cage, about four inches or so below the armpit. I use this in boxing as well, only full power. It has a good chance at knocking the wind out of someone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the most important thing is not the choice of technique, but a combination of them. You almost never score with the first technique, and usually with the second or third, while the first one works like a distruction.

Depending on which side I am closest to- Tai Sabaki to the lead hand side, trapping the forward arm while simultaneously throwing a straight punch to the chin or nose. Next, getting the opponents back (rear corner) and applying a rear naked choke with a leg destruction, sweep or trip.

That's just for one opponent, but can be adapted for many. The thing is that Okinawan karate is a spontaneous animal for the most part. Just like real life confrontations!

Traditional=Eternal

Nidan, Hakutsurukan

stepping outside a punch on a 45 degree brushing the punch past the using a hammer fist to the head.

straight out of niahachi kata, followed by a spinning back kick to the gut.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

I like to send a few scathing roundhouse kicks to the thigh to loosen my opponent up. Then fake another kick to the leg, but pull up for a roundhouse to the head. Can also be followed by a punch to the head just in case.

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I just thought of another good one! Fighting right-handed, fake a left mae-geri, then drop your lead (left) arm over your opponents arms, followed by a right ridge-hand to his/her temple. Almost a knockout every time :lol:

pinning the opponents foot to the floor and then punching the solar plexus or face

Black Belt (Or, Sash i should say) - 2nd Degree - Wu Shu & Wing Chun Kung Fu

Black Belt - 1st degree - Shuri Ryu Karate

Black Belt - 1st degree - Okinawan Kobudo

Black Belt - 1st degree - Tomikki Aikido

Black Belt - 2nd degree - Jujitsu

Tai Chi Chuan Practicioner

Muay Thai Practicioner

• 3 months later...

I'm a counter-fighter and prefer if the other guy is very aggressive. The more aggressive, the better! :D

Because of that, I like to use change of body..also known as body shifting, where the opponent steps in and launches his attack and I wait until the last possible moment (takes a lot of practice and timing to get it right), move laterally while executing a block (not always) and a counter strike at the same time. The combination of your movement, your opponents movement and the velocity of your attacking appendage gives you tremendous striking power. It also leaves you very well protected and fully prepared for follow up techniques.

I've had great success with this technique both in the dojo, and a couple of times on the street. In my dojo we work on this technique frequently with as much realism as possible using bogu full contact sparring gear on your opponent so you get used to hitting them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"