• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advice required on creating website

telsun

wow John. If I weren't a computer nerd I'd have to say wtf? But then again computer stuff can get pretty complicated and very intricate.

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

....Oh yeah, and unofficially...

KENJUTSU

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die." ~ Sima Yi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was hoping to make it as simple as possible. But when you start talking webhosting things can get quite complicated.

BTW if you look at the top of this page iFroggy hosting has reasonable rates for domain names and webhosting. The starter plan would be ideal for someone starting out.

Besides I’m sure Patrick could give you a few pointers if you get stuck. :)

….

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Yeah, Patrick is really good at picking domain names, and he has a good amount of experience with starting websites.

I've never started my "own" website with a domain and everything, but I do have some experience with programming in HTML by hand. Here's my tip: never ever EVER use FrontPage, because it puts in sooooo much unnecessary code and slows down your loading time majorly. One of the most important aspects of web design is loading speed, especially if YOU have a cable modem/T1, etc., because what loads quickly for you could take a lifetime on a dialup modem.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I would not use Publisher or word to create a web site. They put a bunch of junk in the html which in turn causes problems. I like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. Dreamweaver is probably the best. Costly though. Their is also Adobe GoLive.

My advice would to get a book on html create simple pages in notepad and learn to upload to a free host (such as Angelfire, Yahoo Geocities) Work with basic html first then go and get an editor such as front page or dreamweaver. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND WORD OR PUBLISHER.

HTML is slightly difficult to learn if it's your first programming language, but I'd say it's probably the easiest out of any of the languages. It'll take a little of your time to learn and practice it, but it's DEFINITELY worth it!! You have more control, things load faster, and problems are much, much, much easier to fix because you know your own code. Plus, html-ing is pretty fun. :geek:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.