• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've only witnessed videos work in two cases:

1) You already know the style, the style is very consistent, and you just want to learn a new kata.

2) Weapons. For some reason, learning weapons from video seems to work. I actually learned first chucks from watching the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. I had the benefit of someone having taken a minute to show me how to hold the things first though.

Bucket Man

----------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the only time when videos are good are if you are already trained in a style and want to see how someone else does it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 3 weeks later...
I train in Shotokan and have a couple of Kung Fu tapes. To be honest I am pleased to be able to learn from video something that likewise I would not otherwise get a chance to. At the same time, even with a difference in style I can understand the basic principles of the stances, movements and strikes, and my Shotokan classes help me train in speed and awareness. I think videos are good that way and I like to think I am learning something extra. I have used Tae Bo videos just to keep fit over the last couple of years before actually taking up a martial art and my instructors were quite surprised at how well I was able to practice the basic kicks and punches and how flexible I was. I think you have to take what makes sense to you and that you can internalise from every source you can and neither totally dismiss one way of doing things nor only accept one way of doing things.... Yin and Yang baby!

It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

well, i just want to say, don't do it.

you will end up learning the whole set of moves but not being a master of any of it.

in wing chun, it will take you fifteen seconds to learn the straight punch but it will take you a life time to master it. and this is just the most basic thing we learn. but if you don't master this most basic move, even if you have learnt all of the forms form books/videos, you will have your butt handed to you on a plate...

videos can be helpful if you have a live, resisting training partner to train with you. that way, you'll be able to figure out the mistakes through trial and error.

but isn't training with someone who is only copying what he sees in the video a bit silly?

after all, if both of you do not know the style, then neither of you will be doing the right thing.

i take the example of wing chun's bong sau again, unless you have trained in wing chun, you will not know what a bong sau feels like. if you watch a video and do what you see, you will only get the shape right.

the thing i really have a problem with, and please forgive me if i'm repeating myself, is that i know of people who watch these videos, copy what they see, then say they know kung fu.

it bugs me even more when the kung fu they say they know is wing chun because the moment our hands meet, they are useless.

this is why a lot of people think wing chun (or any other style for that matter) is not effective. a lot of guys watch videos and then say they know, wing chun, shotokan, mantis, jiujitsu etc etc)

i have always believed videos to be useful tools for the martial artist who has reasonable experience and someone with knowledge to pose questions to.

but i'm just not convinced you can learn purely from them.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I'd say feeling is much much more important than seeing here. Getting beaten up (and defending from such) is a very tactile experience :). Learning how a technique should look can only get you so far.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• 6 months later...

Rely mostly on your INSTRUCTOR. He knows, can show you, answer your question, correct you the moment you've made the mistake, not after it became second nature. Don't lose time unlearning bad habits. Use your time leatning properly your techniques. And that requires an instructor.

• 1 month later...

Well, would this work? I'm training in karate, and i know a lot already, and i'm pretty flexibleand i know how to do quite a few kicks and i'm fast. would i be able to get jiu jitsu videos (to widen my knowledge), and have a partner watch me and compare me to the instructor in the video and tell me what i need to fix? basically i want to learn how to grapple and do joint locks and throws, but my dojo doesn't do enough of that for me. I'd like an answer even if i get an answer a month after i send this, thx!

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.