• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hello everyone,

I was just curious but I have a friend who has just gotten into martial arts and has bought a whole set of kung fu instructional video's. Do yall think that someone could really turn into a good martial artist this way??

All things begin with one "Tatsuo Shimabuku"

My Dojo, The only Isshinryu dojo in Arkansas that I know of. http://www.geocities.com/isshinchris/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that using just videos (unless you are some sort of a prodigy) will turn you into a great martial artist. Instructors are needed to correct any bad habits or mistakes you are making that are not readily apparent to you. That being said, I think they can be an excellent resource to enhance your training. I use quite a few videos, but I rely on an instructor for my main training.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

well, i just want to say, don't do it.

you will end up learning the whole set of moves but not being a master of any of it.

in wing chun, it will take you fifteen seconds to learn the straight punch but it will take you a life time to master it. and this is just the most basic thing we learn. but if you don't master this most basic move, even if you have learnt all of the forms form books/videos, you will have your butt handed to you on a plate...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I don't think that using just videos will turn you into a great martial artist. Instructors are needed to correct any bad habits or mistakes you are making that are not readily apparent to you... I think they can be an excellent resource to enhance your training.

I completely agree with SR. I use videos a lot because I'm not able to go to class on a regular basis (too far away). They are a good resource, but it takes a live instructor to make adjustments and fine tune your technique. Those corrections are critical in making the art work, and if you don't learn it right in the basics you have a weak foundation to build on, even if you do get the moves down.

Another thing to consider is quality of instruction. There are some excellent videos out there on just about any style or subject. But the McMasters also make videos, and if you don't have some knowlege to judge their techniques by, you can spend a lot of money on hamburgers when you think you're buying steak. Not to mention the time you'll invest learning to get yourself killed.

And another thing, if you are going to learn by video, you'll still need at least one other dedicated partner to work out with. Learning in the air will only get you so far. You need to feel the techniques both done on a live body and done to you in order to understand them and learn them. And it would be better to have a third person so you can see them done as well.

But still, no matter how good the video, or how dedicated your training partners, I recomend at least getting private instruction once a month (more would be better).

Freedom isn't free!

By itself no....

Using them as an aide to check yourself at home yes they can help. However you need a REAL teacher who you can interact with.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

hello everyone,

I was just curious but I have a friend who has just gotten into martial arts and has bought a whole set of kung fu instructional video's. Do yall think that someone could really turn into a good martial artist this way??

is there a particular reason why ur friend does not visit a dojo?

The reason my friend doesn't want to go to a dojo is because he wants to learn kung fu or any kind of chinese art. We live in a rural area so most the place around here are little tai kwan do places. I was lucky enuff to find an Isshinryu dojo about a half hour away from where I live.

All things begin with one "Tatsuo Shimabuku"

My Dojo, The only Isshinryu dojo in Arkansas that I know of. http://www.geocities.com/isshinchris/

Then only video course that I've ever seen work for real is the "Jeet Kune Do Unlimited" system of Burton Richardson, http://www.jkdunlimited.com/ The reason it works is that it demands you to spar for real, full contact, in all ranges and video tape yourself do that with partners and send the tapes for Sifu Richardson for evaluation and feedback. And you will only be given student grades via videos, you must meet Richardson personally to test for apprentice instructor's rank and above. He also suggests Thaiboxing and BJJ to complement the JKDU studies.

G95champ summed it up.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey