• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RyuKyu Kempo

aznkarateboi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It is an old art from RyuKyu islands, the same archipelago where Okinawa is located. Thus it is a "cousin" of Okinawan karate. American kenpo draws more from Chinese kempo than Okinawan. (The term 'kempo' actually refers to "Chinese" arts, on Okinawa they studied some Chinese arts and called it kempo because the term referred to an art from China, much in the same way as the term karate originally meant "Chinese hand" until the kanji were changed less than a century ago to mean "Empty hand").

• 3 weeks later...

The RyuKyu's are a small chain of islands located between Japan and China. The largest and most famous of these islands is Okinawa. Because of their strategic location as trading center for both China and Japan, the Ryukyus were greatly influenced by both the Chinese and Japanese cultures.

RyuKyu Kempo is a system of martial arts that has roots in both; the Okinawan "TE" (HAND) system and the Chinese Kempo (FIST WAY). Thus RyuKyu Kempo is a blend of the old Okinawan and Chinese martial arts. The uniqueness of RyuKyu Kempo can be seen in the "hard style" training with power and emphasis on makiwara training.

DILLMAN learned pressure points from SIEYU OYATA

http://www.ryushu.com/oyata.html

for a short time, however he went on to market them and sell seminars on instant knockouts and such . there is much more than that to the art

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• 2 weeks later...

I go to a karate school since last April (now an orange belt, 9th Kyu) that teaches Ryukyu Kempo. In our training manual "Kenpo" is described differntly as Chinese/American with kicks, striking techniques. Kempo also uses kicks and striking, but also teaches weapons (but not very much during the first two belts). The main focus of the art is self-defense. Everything we learn is a defense against a particular attack.

The leader of the school (shihan) is trained in pressure points and is also a medical doctor licensed in acupuncture. He and the other instructors teach bunkai (striking combinations) out of kata that incorporate any of the 361 regular pressure points.

Ryukyu Kempo is based upon the teachings of George Dillman, who learned it from Taika Oyata. Oyata, who first used the term Ryukyu Kempo as the name for his art, formed the Ryukyu Kempo Association in Okinawa in 1968 (Dillman didn't join him until the 1980's). Dillman Karate International began calling their system Ryukyu Kempo out of respect to Oyata.

It is a classical form of MA from Okinawa, and influenced by Chinese knowledge of anatomy and pressure points. The pressure points are used to cause pain, immobilize the opponent, or render the opponent unconscious. We learn that the true value of kata lies in the self-defense techniques contained in them.

The school I go to also incorporates Small Circle Jujitsu, Modern Arnis (Filipino stick-fighting), and Tang-Soo-Do.

The first kata we learn, for the Orange belt testis Taikyoku Shodan. We learn the nexxt two Taikyoku kata (Nidan & Sandan) for Yellow belt, as well as kata Seisan, which more than a few upper belts wonder why such a difficult kata is learned so early.

I trained in Ryu Kyu Kempo in Phoenix under Sensei Mike Wall. I also have had the pleasure of training with Sensei Rick Moneymaker from the Torite Jitsu style which is another off-shoot of Ryu Kyu Kempo from the Dillman lineage. The training was unlike any other karate class I had been to. You start learning on a more advanced level right away. The strikes, blocks, stances and footwork that I learned for my first belt were things that I didn't learn in Shorin Ryu until I was a brown belt, and some not even then. Ryu Kyu Kempo is a very flowing style. Taika Oyata is an amazing little Okinawan man of extraordinary ability. I've seen him handle men 3 times his size as if they were babies. He is what I always imagined an Okinawan Master would be.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Sasori_Te

I also train in TORITE under Rick Moneymakers lianage. One of my instructors Frank Annease prchased the DRAGON SOCIETY home dojo in WAYNESBORO VA. at Ricks request and works closly with Rick and Tom Muncy. I agree Ricks approach differs from DILLMAN'S. In the late 80's I trained under one of OYATAS senior students he was a 7th dan in 1988 I met MASTER OYATA on several occasions and agree with you. If you ever come to New Jersey send me a message, theres always room on the floor.

RYUKYU KEMPO is not based on DILLMANS teaching, rather DILLMANS are based on RYUKYU KEMPO as many other versions of RYUKYU KEMPO are.

no , it was RKA ( ryukyu kempo america )in Flemington NJ, when frank moved to VA. he changed it to AMERIQUEST. I am so so on the name, but it just a name the training is what matters. I like Rick Moneymakers TORITE and Ray Hobson who trained under frank works closley with Frank Annease and Rick to maintain the training level.