• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Does RyuKyu Kempo Compare To Other Karate Styles

sunchaser

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how RyuKyu Kempo compares to other styles of Karate? If my understanding is correct RyuKyu employs grappling techniques, joint locks, and pressure point striking.

Do most Karate styles teach grappling and joint lock techniques as well as pressure points or is the teaching of these aspects unique to RyuKyu Kempo? Or do other Karate styles teach them but to a lesser or greater degree?

Thanks

Jill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well, yes, Ryukyu Kempo is similar to the traditional Okinawan karate styles (as opposed to Japanese styles) such as Seibukan Shorin-Ryu, Jundokan Goju-ryu, Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, ... in that it focuses on infighting and tuite (standing grappling/joint locks). The Japanese styles and some very modern Okinawan styles prefer striking, kicking and blocking and contain almost no grappling. The Japanese modelled their karate styles in the tournamental fashion similar to Kendo and Judo. They wanted easy-to-look-at tournaments and fast action. Okinawans prefer to study the kata bunkai (= self defence applications cataloged in the ancient 'forms').