• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How come wing chun is so fast and powerful yet is still considered a soft art ? I havnt found much luck with anyone teaching wing chun in manitoba it seems interesting, similar to shotokan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is tai chi fast? You can make anything fast if you are fast, watch my grandma do wing chun instead of tai chi and well.... there goes your theory

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

any martial art can be both soft and hard, depends on how you play it.

"It is not how much you know but how well you have mastered what you've learnt. When making an assessment of one's martial arts training one should measure the depth rather than the length".

- MASTER "General" D. Lacey

It is fast compared to Shotokan (well, most MAs are...) because it uses much higher stances and is therefore more mobile.

The punches we use are shorter and more direct. We don't over commit our techniques, which means that one technique can turn into another before it is fully executed, should something change in the situation - for example, in other MAs the 'opponent' will often stand stock-still and allow you to counter. In WC we do not do that (because people don't do that when they fight), we move naturally, so it is much more fluid.

It is considered by some a 'soft' art because we don't use force when we can use technique instead - but in terms of it's application it is amongst the most vicious and effective arts.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

hmmm, i spy a slightly dubious statement there...

most people i know who practise other martial arts do not just stand there waiting to be hit...

anyway, back to the original post. what it looks like is a misunderstanding of the terms hard/soft martial arts.

conceptually, wing chun is soft but in execution, it is hard (but only when you need it to be).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

From The Ground Up,

What I meant was during practice. When practicing a technique, A throws it and will often stay put allowing B to respond. Just my experience with several other arts.

>>>PS<<<

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-defense is only an illusion, a dark cloak beneath which lurks a razor-sharp dagger waiting to be plunged into the first unwary victim. Sifu Wong.

well i guess it depends on what they are training.

i'm sure at the higher levels, there is more interaction...

i mean, before we trained with a partner, we spent quite a long time doing moves in the air. then we added a person punching to show the direct/ideal application. then we stepped it up a bit (harder, faster punch).

after a while, once this has been done with a few (hundred:) ) moves, it just evolved into light sparring, which in turn moved into chi sau...

different styles train differently and at every level, training is different.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

It takes many years to start to recognise the real depth and meaning in your chosen art.May be the answers will come later and after alot of sweat and blood.

Never give in