unarmed self defense under gunpoint

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mugged thrice whilst living on Baltimore. Twice at gunpoint. Once with just one assailant. Gave them my money, backpack, etc.. Still alive.

I made the decision not to resist. My life is not worth a few dollars and credit cards.

I also experienced a certain amount of derision from my fellow "martial artists," who had never been in the same situation. I lost most of the respect I had for these indivisuals. The important thing is to know when to fight, not merely how.

That wasn't in Inner Harbor, was it?

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

No. I lived in the Patterson Park area, on Patterson Park Ave. off of Lombard. I worked at Hopkins, and would often just walk home from work (worked nights in the ED). Once (the baseball bat incident) was a sunny Sunday morning at abour 0830. The other times, the actual muggings, were:

-Coming back fromt the Safeway in Canton at about four in the afternoon.

-Walking from Baltimore Street after getting off of the number 20 bus (Went to UMBC, took the bus to UMAB,then the shuttle to and from campus) around nine p.m..

-Walking from the dojo in Mount Vernon to downtown to catch a bus about eight thirty on a Tuesday.

I actually never had any problem in the Inner Harbour, and in fact used to study at the Barnes and Noble there until they closed around eleven. I did the same thing at Daily grind in Fells Point.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Whew. I was only wondering because I visit there every two years (business related) and I've never thought that area would be a hangout for muggers. In fact, I'm heading out there in April or May. Need to visit the ESPNSportsZone for a Yeunglings or two.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Never went to ESPN or to Planet Hollywood, which both flank the Barnes and Noble. I would avoid using the ATM in fromnt of PH, though, since it is sort of a trouble magnet.

If you want the true 'Bawl'mer" experience, eat breakfast at Jimmy's, in Fells Point. :D Hash browns, sausage, pancakes, bacon, scrapple (everything but the oink!) and 'aigsowverreezey' washed down by a nice cold Natty Bo! Ahhh...I miss civilization!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 1 month later...

ofcourse if they have a knife or gun they can have all my money.

but what if the attacker wants to take you to a secondary crimescene?

i think you're better off doing anything in your power to prevent that.

Ofcourse it's a judgement you'd have to make at the time it happens so I think the best thing you can do is a lot of scenario based training to increase your technique and decision making skills.

But when it comes to these kind of things, nothing is foolproof and you cannot really predict how you will act under such stress etc.

so vis pacem para bellum

• 10 months later...

Went through the firearms training last year. I thouht it was very interesting. The instructor (a 5th degree) kept re-itterating that these techniques would only work on a person that was mishandling the weapon. The whole purpose of a gun over a knife is to gain distance. If the attacker is in your reach, he is stupid.

In a robbery situation, I would give up my money to the gunman. If it is someone just bent on killing (like a terrorist) I will use whatever means or tools or weapons, chairs, etc. that I can find to get myself and those around me to safety. I like my odds in that situation anyway, cause, I would not have any more to lose than my life anyway.

2nd Degree Black ITA Tae Kwon Do

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading a Krav Maga book last night at the bookstore and it looked pretty good. Still, it only works if the person is extremely close.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

There are too many outside variables to disscus this here. I would suggest doing what it takes to live, but that is only my 2 cents.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• 2 weeks later...

Sanford Strong has some points about guns and people who are trying to mug you:

resist

run

make alot of noise

A couple of things I have been told in my years of training:

Most people miss when shooting at someone 5 yards away (even trained gunners)

The closer the gun is to you, the better your chance of escaping it

You have to read the situation. If you feel the person wants to hurt you, fight. If you sense they just want your money, give it to them.

The burst or flash, if at night, will blind you for 15-30 minutes. The sound blast will disorient you and can make you puke if it goes off too close to your ears.

Always get behind the weapon. It will protect you from the blast and the bullet.

Get yourself on a gun course and learn how to use the weapons you are defending against. Do a stationary course and a walking course. Shoot the lowest caliber to the highest caliber and note the differences. Shoot the revolvers and the autos, pistols and rifles. Get one of those human targets and see how you can hit it from 5-10-15 yards away stationary and then do it walking.

All of the gun defense arts we do in our style are based off of the person pressing the gun in your person.

In any case, not a good place to be...