• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

unarmed self defense under gunpoint

there one was some thread that asked what u would do under gunpoint and most of the answers were like "do what he wants" and stuff. i totally agree with that, which brings me to my question... systems that teach defense techniques against an attack with a gun (thinking of krav maga e.g.) bare a big risk to personal health imo. i mean - at what distance do they work? in case ur opponent is not a complete idiot he will manage to press the fire button and then ur toast. when getting mugged without gunpoint, it could be worth a try for a judo practicioner to try a grappling move. if this fails, u can still give away ur purse which might be difficult if u r hit by a gunshot, where ever it hits u, so to speak.

on the other hand - my example of krav maga was invented for army and special security forces etc. terrorists, enemy soldiers and these guys dont wait for u to get out ur purse and then maybe let u walk away. they will shoot in any case so it in a way might be better to perform a krav maga move than nothing, but my thoughts were primarily focussed on the street situation. these are just my thoughts and they are no offense against krav maga practitioners or something.

what do you think?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most unarmed gun defenses (and by most I mean basically all) rely on the person being at extremely close range and basically sticking the gun in your face. Even then you take a chance trying a disarm. If the opponent uses both hands to hold the handgun or simply keeps a few feet of distance there isn't much you can do to fight back. I'd say just go along with whatever the guys says, maybe stall a bit if you can, and hope he gives you an opening, like taking the gun off of you for a moment.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

no - i disagree. under certain circumstances its probably better to do what u r told to. either its only ur purse or when its something more "valueable" like spouse, girlfriend, relative, friend etc... what u need to protect. u dont help anyone by jumping into someone elses knife if he'd be satisfied with a few bucks that allow him/her to get the next dosis of drugs or something. but in case u got the skill u should use it for many ppl train for this special moment, and for that there are fewer ppl that can takem things away.

If the opponent uses both hands to hold the handgun or simply keeps a few feet of distance there isn't much you can do to fight back.

That all depends on what is at stake. You can charge the weapon from a distance of several feet. A hit to your brain, upper spine, or abulitory system (bones in the hips or legs) will stop you; but a "center of mass" hit will still leave you with at least 10 seconds of consious action; and never underestimate the ability to miss even at close range.

Two hands, close to his body, with a willingness to "fish" with the gun makes control hard... if you are armed at all, you may be able to "kill him back" (I can sever a lot of important arteries in 10 seconds), and depending on the situation; this may be perferrable to some alternatives.

Well a good defense goes something like this.

Our father which art in heaven......Amen....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Wear some protection, like a white hat; those guys never get shot no matter how many bad guys are shooting at them.

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

i know, that's so weird! why is it so hard to hit a big, slow moving white thing?

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

(thread title)...is completely possible under the right circumstances.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

I remember when my instructor would teach us gun defense. He would always give us a little talk afterwards that went something like this:

Most of you are going to die when you're 90 years old, laying in a hospital with tubes coming out of your body. Very few of you will ever be put at gunpoint...and if a guy ever sticks a gun in your face and asks for your wallet, what should you do? Give them your wallet. I teach you these techniques because they're good to know, but I don't want you to all think you're Superman. I can tell you one thing, though: if I'm in a bank when it gets robbed, and the robber is shooting hostages down the line, you can bet I'm going to do something about it. So it's all about knowing your limitations.

That's basically his take on the situation, and I agree. There's a big difference between being robbed and being assulted: a robber just wants your money, your possessions. An attacker wants to harm you, and isn't going to leave you alone just because you gave him your wallet. In that case, you have to defend yourself.

I'm going to move this to Martial Arts & Politics. :)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.