• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

KARATE MANUAL

Sho-ju

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
yea this brings up a question for me though, befor ei went to the dojo i read alot of stuff that talked about a predetermined kumite, ive never seen this done at my school, we always do it off random, no prearanged movements.

"i could dance like that!.......if i felt like it...." -Master Betty

predetermined kumite is usually just a training aid. Just think of it as multi-step drills. Realistically, they are usually simple two-person kata.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Not to sound dumb or anything but is predetermined kumite like 2 step sparring? I imgine so lol It sounds the same, one person throws an attack the other throws the block...It's done slowly at first then speeds up but it not where you throw anything at anytime. Sorry dumb question lol

Thanks for the site though, it was interesting to read some of the things in there. :)

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

Yes. It is exactly that. People have one-step-kumite, two-step-kumite, three-step-kumite, I've even seen five-step-kumite used. Usually they are used prior to jyu-kumite (free sparring) as a stepping stone.

An example of Ippon-kumite (one-step-sparring) is here:

A attacks with a lunge punch to head (jodan oi-tsuki).

B defends with a high block and counters with a reverse punch to solar plexus (jodan uke, chudan gyaku-tsuki).

An example of Sambon-kumite (three-step-sparring) is here:

A attacks with lunge punch to head.

B defends with high block.

A attacks with reverse punch to head.

B defends with high block.

A attacks with groin front kick.

B defends with low block and counters with reverse punch.

• 3 weeks later...