• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the man with no style

Something to consider:

It may not a very well-loved fact, but it has been my observation that training in martial arts school pretty much always includes the teaching of a great many habits and ways of thinking that are downright stupid.

It can be many things. Take me, for instance...my first style was Shotokan, and I lost my first fight because of the way it was taught. No...I didn't try fighting in a deep stance, but very simply the guy came in at me from an angle I had never seen before, and I basically froze. He simply walked towards me at a 45 degree angle and dropped to the ground, then in came in and up at me. Simple. Obvious, but because of my training up to that point, I had learned not to expect that.

Let's take some other bad habits often taught in schools: Block, counterpunch. Or, punch in sets of three then wait. Sounds really dumb, and it is...and I've seen those patterns in pretty much every school I've attended. A person who simply wades in and alternates punches with either hand as fast as he can and never stops to block or defend himself will unfortunately, often do EXTREMELY well in a fight.

Sparring practice at most (no, not all) schools involves memorizing routines that would never actually happen, as well as always stopping after a succesful hit. Both of these are obviously counterproductive habits to learn, but 90% of the schools I've seen train this way.

So...who knows what the particular habits may be in the case you're discussing, but it might be that the guy is just rather talented, in good condition, good at learning from example, and never learned any of teh bad habits that the people is fighting did.

Bucket Man

---------------------------------------------

http://www.freewebs.com/ocmartialarts

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take up BJJ or judo, maybe San Soo, no set patterns there.

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

>take up BJJ or judo, maybe San Soo, no set patterns there.

It's not a function of style, it's a function of how it is taught. My step sister took a San Soo class a few years back, and so far as I could tell, over half of the techniques she learned were to deal with a right handed punch from straight on. Also...she only ever learned to perform her techniques on one side of the body, another 'stupid' habit.

There's no reason why San Soo, or any other styles couldn't be taught without those particular mistakes, but I think simply as a matter of learning material, it is convenient to make assumptions and then stick with them. Can you imagine a class in which, from day one, any time you practice any technique, your partner is free to attack (or not) in any way he wants? That's what I think it would take. Otherwise, habits and assumptions form.

Bucket Man

Orange County Martial Arts Social Club

she took " a " class? As in one? You can't tell much about a style from one class

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

lord bucket i see what your saying by him not having a style he doe's not have bad habits that we pick up from schools. he doe's learn quick from example because i show him a move and he picked it up in seconds. but i goning to really put him to the test there is a open knock down tournament coming up i asked him did he want to compete he said bring em on. so i whant to see how he does against different styles and a lot of kykoshin people will be there.

falcon kick!!!

. but what about me what do you do against a fighter like this.

Watch more movies :P Just kidding.

Be patient. His skill cant develop any further than the next action flick while your training has you on a steady incline. You will beat him.

Keep training.

Misfortune comes out of laziness.

Something sounds a little fishy from the beginning of this thread...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

i mean what so fishy about it. but you know what if somebody told me this to i would say the same thing. but i seen a lot of crazy stuff i'm my life so nothing cant suprise me anymore. but i have a plan now, the only thing he has over me is brute strenght and thats why he keeps winning. i'm telling you he's going to enter a tournament in two months so i will tell you how he did in two. az kicker your right because now that i think about he does do the same moves over and over but their really strong thats why i can't get past them.

falcon kick!!!

nothing can't surprise you? alot of crazy stuff i'm my life? Can you put a little effort into typing I can barely understand what you type. I think he needs to fight someone with skill.