• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD to Kenpo switch thoughts and suggestions

Asahi1265

I'm a TKD student of 1 1/2 years. I'm thinking of switching to Kenpo. (I'm just not cut out for sport TKD.) Any info you could give on Kenpo will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. - SunTzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are you taking Shaolin Kenpo or American Kenpo?

Basically, from what I've heard, American Kenpo is a very effective style designed to be used on American streets. It probably isn't designed for NHB fighting, but it is effective for self defense. Unlike TKD, it has efficient techniques and concentrates 70% on hand techniques. It focuses on development of speed in hand techniques.

American Kenpo.

I've watched a few classes, the punches seem to be almost the same. They seemed to do quite a bit more close fighting than TKD, and alot less kicking.

Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. - SunTzu

American Kenpo, also known as Parker Kenpo is a system based first on self defense. They have alot of self defense techniques for just about every type of situation. You get plenty of hand work which increases your hand speed, and all their kicks are kept below the waist.

They do have katas that are developed from many of their self defense moves, if I'm not mistaken. It is mainly a stand up striking art, and you will not find any ground type moves unless it was added in by the instructor.

The system is also based on principles of motion, reactions, and so forth. You can litrally find all kinds of info on the web when it comes to American kenpo. If you've watched a class, try one, and also talk to the students and instructor when you get a chance. Good luck!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

My base is American Kenpo, and I work out regularly with some TKD folks. What has been said so far is basically true. Most kicks go to the opponents base, some to the mid section, very very few higher than that. AK is a ballanced style, having both hard and soft moves. The hard is similar to TKD in some ways. But AK practitioners have a much better grasp on principles, a LOT les wasted moves, and a WHOLE LOT more flow. Not to say TKD doesn't work- the group I work out with is combat oriented and does a lot of things similar to Kenpo. They also put soft moves in their system with Modern Arnis. But where they fall prey is when I get in close. AK fights at all ranges. Arnis and TKD are primarily long range. AK also does a lot of stand up grappling, and a lot of the principles transfer directly to the ground. Sadly, when he died, Mr. Parker was working on the ground aspect of Kenpo and had not completed it. So most AK schools use other systems for ground fighting and the student transfers the principles from the standup game into the ground system. Ak also works on control of and movement in dimensions, setting up your opponent and working off his reactions, and a lot of angles. A TKD background is a good thing to take into American Kenpo, if that is the style you are looking at.

Freedom isn't free!